Shields are pieces of armor held in the hand to deflect blows from weapons or unarmed attacks. Available in both heavy and light variants, the shield is favored by many warriors and other offensive classes.
The effectiveness of shields is governed by the Block skill and the corresponding armor type—Light or Heavy. All three contain customizable perk trees. When allocated with the right perks, shields are able to block not only direct melee attacks, but also incoming arrows, power attacks, and even fire, frost, and shock damage. Their bash ability can be used to stagger and even knock down opponents.
|Chitin Shield DR||24.5||8||215||Chitin Plate||Elven||026235|
|Dragonscale Shield||29||6||750||Dragon Scales||Dragon||00013941|
|Elven Shield||21||4||115||Refined Moonstone||Elven||0001391E|
|Glass Shield||27||6||450||Refined Malachite||Glass||0001393C|
|Imperial Light Shield||19||4||40||Leather||Steel||00013AB2|
|Stalhrim Shield DR||29.5||10||600||Stalhrim||Ebony||026237|
|Dawnguard Rune Shield DG||27||6||450||Steel Ingot||Advanced||011baf|
|Herebane's Fortress||21||4||817||Refined Moonstone||Elven||000f9649|
|Aetherial Shield DG||26||12||2000||Dwarven Metal Ingot||None||005759|
|Auriel's Shield DG||32||14||775||Refined Moonstone||Elven||00284d|
|Shield of Solitude||32||12||1540||N/A||-||0010EB65|
|Shield of Ysgramor||30||12||1715||N/A||-||000E41D8|
|Spellbreaker||38||12||227||Dwarven Metal Ingot||None||00045F96|
|Targe of the Blooded||20||8||300||Steel Ingot||Steel||000FC5BF|
The following is a list of enchantments that can be applied to shields.
This section contains bugs related to Shields (Skyrim). Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- Dragonborn is a vampire. The Ebony Shield may occasionally appear invisible if the
- follower picks it up it will respawn. When a shield is dropped, there is a chance that whenever a
- Quick Reflexes unlocked, the player can sidestep a power attack instead of blocking or counter-attacking, and lock themselves into a slow motion state, in which the player can move and attack normally but their magicka, stamina, and health will not regenerate, their shouts will not refresh, and all enemies are in the slow motion state. To exit this, one must simply cause the game to load. Traveling to a fast travel point or entering another area through a door solves this problem. This has not been tested on PS3.confirmation needed If the Block skill tree has
- When riding a horse with a shield equipped, the game will freeze. In addition to this, the Dragonborn may glitch and appear to be standing with its lower legs inside the horse rather than sitting on the horse.
- For certain enchanted shields, such as Spellbreaker, power attacks will sometimes not work; they will take up no stamina, and not do the damage that the attack would normally do.