Silver Weapons are a special type of weapon in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. They are carried exclusively by the Silver Hand, a group of Werewolf hunters, except for a single silver sword that can be found in Castle Volkihar near a set of Vampire Royal Armor. Unlike in Morrowind and Oblivion, silver weapons come in only two forms, one-handed and two-handed swords, and so they do not constitute an entire weapon tier. This can be a disadvantage for players who specialize in fighting with other weapon types.
Silver Weapons have the special ability:
- Especially effective against undead.
When used against the Undead such as Draugr, Skeleton, and Dragon Priests the base damage of the weapons is increased by 20 points. Despite the description, Werewolves are affected as well. They can be considered the strongest swords in the game when fighting Undead or Werewolves.
If one has the most recent patch (126.96.36.199.8), silver weapons also apply their bonus damage against Vampires.
The effectiveness against undead cannot be disenchanted from the weapon. It is an inherent ability of the silver material of the weapon.
Silver Weapons can be enchanted with additional enchantments at an Arcane Enchanter. The Especially effective against undead text overrides the enchantment effect text, though the enchantment is still applied.
Silver weapons cannot be improved through normal methods. This makes it impossible to upgrade them without the use of the console or mods.
- Silver weapons are used at the Atronach Forge along with other items to create random Daedric weapons.
- Dual-enchanting a silver weapon with Fire Damage and Fiery Soul Trap makes an excellent tool for slaying undead, particularly vampires.
- Dual-enchanting a silver weapon with Fire Damage and Silent Moons Enchantment also makes a potent anti-undead weapon since both enchantments may be augmented by the Fire Enchanter perk.
- Silver weapons have the same damage as their steel and ancient nord counterparts but weigh much less.
- The Elder Scrolls: Arena
- The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
- The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
|Weapon classes in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|
|Arrows • Bolts (DG) • Bows • Crossbows (DG) • Battleaxes • Daggers • Greatswords • Maces • Swords • War Axes • Warhammers|
|Ancient Nord Weapons • Daedric Weapons • Dragonbone Weapons (DG) • Dwarven Weapons • Ebony Weapons • Elven Weapons|
Falmer Weapons • Forsworn Weapons • Glass Weapons • Imperial Weapons • Iron Weapons • Lunar Weapons • Nord Hero Weapons • Nordic Weapons (DB)
Orcish Weapons • Silver Weapons • Skyforge Steel Weapons • Stalhrim Weapons (DB) • Steel Weapons
|Staves • Enchanted Weapons • Unique Weapons • Console Commands|
|Archery • One-Handed • Two-Handed|