- The Skeleton Key can be used to open any non-magical lock instantly, though it has a high chance of opening magical locks as well.
- Can only be used once per day.
The Skeleton Key acts like a spell in the Champion's inventory. Choose the Skeleton Key from the item menu and "cast" it upon a door or container in order to use it.
- The Skeleton Key is located in a random location in either Valenwood, the Summurset Isle, Black Marsh or Hammerfell.
- The Skeleton Key is especially useful for traversing quest dungeons, since it allows the Champion to access magically-sealed doors that normally would require finding a special key or answering a riddle (e.g. The Halls of Colossus).
- According to "general rumors," the original owner of the Skeleton Key was a thief named Arrovan.