Slaughterer of Frostflesh is a Daedric Prince quest available in The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall. The Agent is sent to kill a "child" of Mehrunes Dagon, a frost daedra, at the behest of the Prince of Destruction themselves.
Background[edit | edit source]
In their pursuit of more power to aid their quest, the Agent may seek the power of the Daedric Princes. On the 20th of Sun's Dusk the Prince of Destruction Mehrunes Dagon may be summoned, if the Agent agrees to pay a summoner of either a Witch Coven, Mages Guild, or a temple.
Objectives[edit | edit source]
- Successfully summon Mehrunes Dagon on the 20th of Sun's Dusk.
- Speak with the Prince and accept their quest.
- Journey to and enter the dungeon mentioned by Mehrunes Dagon.
- Track down and slay the frost daedra identified by Mehrunes Dagon.
- Journey to the regional tavern named by Mehrunes Dagon.
- Speak with Mehrunes Dagon's apostle before the time limit expires.
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
The Agent may approach a summoner at either the Mages Guild, a Temple, or a Witch Coven to summon one of the Daedric Princes. If the summoning occurs on the 20th of Sun's Dusk, the Agent may receive a vision of Mehrunes Dagon, whom immediately offers them a quest. Indeed, the Prince of Destruction requests that a "child" of theirs must be "punished," and requests that the Agent carry it out.
A Chilling Child[edit | edit source]
Accepting the quest reveals that Mehrunes Dagon's child is a frost daedra that has decided to flee to a nearby dungeon. The Agent is therefore dispatched to "slaughter frostflesh," before meeting with an apostle of Mehrunes Dagon's in another town. This apostle will hand the Agent their reward for completing the task before the end of Mehrunes Dagon's deadline, a random number of "Mundal nights."
With that the Agent must head to and enter the dungeon, whereupon they may discover a number of frost daedra roaming inside the lair. Regardless, the Agent will know that they have slain Mehrunes Dagon's descendent when they receive the following notification:
With the frost daedra dispatched the Agent must head to the town mentioned by Mehrunes Dagon and meet with their apostle before the time limit expires. The apostle will always appear in a tavern, and will hand the Agent Mehrunes' Razor for completing the quest successfully.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
Completing the quest successfully within the time limit will see the Agent rewarded with the Mehrunes' Razor by the Prince's apostle. The Agent will also receive a boost in reputation with the faction whom summoned the Prince for them, as well as the faction's associates. Conversely, failing the quest will result in the Agent losing reputation with the summoner's faction.
The changes made to reputation, either by successfully completing or failing the quest are shown below:
Journal[edit | edit source]
|Slaughterer of Frostflesh — y0c00y00|
The Daedric Prince Mehrunes Dagon wants me to slay a frost daedra in [dungeon]. After the extermination is complete, I have [x] days to meet with [Apostle's name] and receive The Mehrunes Razor for slaying the frost daedra for Mehrunes Dagon. [He/She] will wait for me at [tavern] in [town].
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- When asked for any news, NPCs have a variety of comments to make referencing the quest:
- Acceptance: "There are cold winds blowing in from the direction of [dungeon]." or "It's rather more cold lately."
- Success: "It's considerably warmer than it has been lately." or "The weather isn't as biting as it used to be."
- Failure: "Crazy [Apostle's description] came through here, screaming about a [Agent's race] adventurer." or "The stars of Mehrunes Dagon are blazing tonight."
- Mehrunes Dagon's apostle: "Really creepy [Apostle's description] called [Apostle's name] -- I saw [him/her] in [tavern]." or "Over [direction] of here there's a place called [tavern]. Look there."
- Mehrunes' Razor: "I have no idea what The Mehrunes Razor does."
Appearances[edit | edit source]
|The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall – Daedric Princes|
|The Princes||Azura • Boethiah • Clavicus Vile • Hermaeus Mora • Hircine • Malacath • Mehrunes Dagon • Mephala • Meridia • Molag Bal • Namira • Nocturnal • Peryite • Sanguine • Sheogorath • Vaermina|
|Quests||The Perfectly Awful Priest • The Precious Toff • The Lupine Menace • The Scrofulous Patrician • An Obvious Misery • A Little Panikosa • Slaughterer of Frostflesh • The Irksome Official • Ungallant Behavior • The Infernal Sparkcaster • Stepping Stone to Power • My Anesthesia • An Unpleasant Business • The Sanctimonious Monk • An Invitation to Tea • An Innocent Lich|
|Related Factions||Temples • Mages Guild • Witch Covens|