A Smelter is a crafting facility found in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
Smelters are used to smelt ores and certain Dwemer objects into ingots. They are dark colored and dome-shaped, often found near mine entrances and in some cities. Smelting does not raise smithing abilities.
- Bilegulch Mine: Outside mine entrance.
- Broken Oar Grotto
- Castle Volkihar DG: Inside the smithing room.
- Darkwater Crossing: Outside mine entrance.
- Dawnstar: One outside Quicksilver Mine (near the docked boat) and one outside Iron-Breaker Mine, next to The White Hall.
- Dushnikh Yal
- Fort Dawnguard DG: Inside the fort, within the smithing area.
- Fort Fellhammer: Inside the main wall.
- Gloombound Mine: Outside mine entrance
- Karthwasten: One outside of Sanurach Mine, and one outside of Fenn's Gulch Mine.
- Kolskeggr Mine: Outside mine entrance.
- Kynesgrove: Outside entrance of Steamscorch Mine.
- Left Hand Mine: Outside mine entrance.
- Markarth: Near The Warrens and Cidhna Mine.
- Mor Khazgur: Near the watch tower and the mine entrance.
- Narzulbur: Just across the wood bridge outside the walls.
- Northwind Summit: To the right of the Word Wall.
- Raven Rock DR: One outside of Glover Mallory's House, and one outside of Raven Rock Mine.
- Shor's Stone: In between Filnjar's House and Sylgja's House
- Skaal Village DR: Outside of Baldor Iron-Shaper's House.
- Stonehills: Outside the entrance to Rockwallow Mine.
- Whistling Mine: Outside mine entrance.
- Whiterun: Behind the forge next to Warmaiden's, which is the first building on the right when entering Whiterun. Not to be confused with Skyforge.
- Windhelm: Outside Blacksmith Quarters.
- Can be built at a homestead (only with the Hearthfire DLC).
In Hearthfire, the Dragonborn can install up to two smelters in each of the new homesteads; one outside and one in the cellar. Each requires following resources:
- When NPCs use a smelter, they will do an animation of first shoveling coal into the smelter, then eventually pouring the liquid metal into an ingot mold, then leaving the smelter. However, when the Dragonborn uses the smelter, only the coal shoveling animation is played in an endless loop.
- Dwemer objects that cannot be smelted: Dwemer Cog, Dwemer Gyro, Dwemer Scrap Metal, Small Dwemer Lever, Dwemer Lever, dishes, bowls and cups, armor and weapons.
This section contains bugs related to Smelter. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- tanning rack, grindstone, forge). Sheathing/unsheathing should resolve this. Sometimes, when a smelter is activated there is no action. This glitch can occur when using any blacksmith facility, (i.e.
- Whirlwind Sprint shout, then activating the smelter very quickly afterward, the Dragonborn is shown scooping ore into the ground beside the smelter instead of into the smelter. Sometimes when using the