Lucien can be summoned by the player using the Spectral Assassin power of the same name. Spectral Assassin is a power given by Astrid after the completion of the quest "Bound Until Death." He can be summoned once per day, and serves as a follower. He does not have a level cap and will not count as having a follower when summoned.
Background[edit | edit source]
The Spectral Assassin was known as Lucien Lachance in life, and was a Speaker of the Dark Brotherhood during the Oblivion Crisis in 3E 433, shortly after the assassination of Emperor Uriel Septim VII. Lucien was later murdered by Speakers of the Black Hand after being mistaken for being a traitor, which was truly Mathieu Bellamont, who sought vengeance on Lucien after the assassin killed his mother. The Night Mother recognized Lucien as being loyal to the Brotherhood, keeping his soul in the Void of Sithis, and had his spirit summonable by the Brotherhood as a reward.
Personality[edit | edit source]
The Spectral Assassin often comments on his days working for the Brotherhood, on the Dragonborn's decisions during the Dark Brotherhood questline, and on the fact he and they are connected through the Void. He often makes his fervour and dedication to the Brotherhood clear with his remarks.
Combat[edit | edit source]
The Spectral Assassin carries a steel dagger in battle and wears Shrouded Robes, Shrouded Hand Wraps, Shrouded Shoes, and a Shrouded Hood, benefiting from their use. Despite being a follower, none of the Spectral Assassin's items, including weapons and apparel, can be exchanged, as he cannot be pickpocketed or spoken to directly.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
|Show: Dark Brotherhood|
|"The Keeper is a sacred position within the Dark Brotherhood. Ask yourself: do you trust the wisdom of our Lady?"||In the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary during the quest "The Cure for Madness"|
|"I will kill this jester if you so desire, but there is a disturbance in the Void. Our Dread Father does not wish this."||During the quest "The Cure for Madness"|
|"Killing the Gourmet will leave an emptiness in the collective soul of Skyrim. This pleases me."||During the quest "Recipe for Disaster"|
|"Yes. Kill the chef and then steal his very identity. For that is the true death."||During the quest "Recipe for Disaster"|
|"Stalking your prey, planting false evidence, destroying an innocent man's reputation. Truly a contract worthy of the Listener."||During the quest "Breaching Security"|
|"In my time, the Blades protected the Emperor. It would seem these Penitus Oculatus will prove equally incompetent."||During the quest "To Kill an Empire," and during "Breaching Security" after the evidence is planted on Gaius Maro|
|"A poison stew, eh? I was always partial to apples, myself."||During the quest "To Kill An Empire," referring to Poisoned Apples|
|"My time saw the assassination of an Emperor as well. Alas, the Dark Brotherhood did not have the honor of the kill."||During the quest "To Kill an Empire"|
|"We must hurry to the Sanctuary. The Family is in dire danger!"||On the way back to the Sanctuary after the betrayal of Astrid|
|"We are the messengers of death, you and I. Together, we will unleash the unholy wrath of our Dread Father, Sithis."||After killing the Penitus Oculatus outside the Sanctuary|
|"The Sanctuary must be purged of its invading filth."||In the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary, during the quest "Death Incarnate"|
|"The time has come to fulfill your destiny, Listener. Kill the Emperor and restore the Dark Brotherhood to greatness."||During the quest "Hail Sithis!"|
|"You stand now at the precipice of the Void. I am reminded of another Listener, a protege I knew long ago. So long ago..."||During the quest "Hail Sithis!," referencing the Hero of Kvatch|
|"An ancient city, Markarth. Built by the Dwemer, the dwarves of old. To think an entire race... eradicated. Not even I can take credit for that feat."||While in Markarth|
|"I do so love Riften. I journeyed here in my youth. A thief took my purse... so I took his eyes. It was a fair exchange."||While in Riften|
|"Whiterun, home of the Skyforge. It is said a blade forged in its fires can cut through sinew as if it were parchment."||While in Whiterun|
|"Ah, yes. Solitude. Seat of the High King of Skyrim. Messy business, kingslaying. Ah, but so very satisfying..."||While in Solitude|
|"Windhelm. White as bone, and cold as the Void."||While in Windhelm|
|"Do you feel it? Magic. Deep and ancient. It resonates from the College, like the beating of a heart."||While in Winterhold|
|"You know, a good purification might be just what this Sanctuary needs..."||In the Dark Brotherhood's Falkreath sanctuary|
|"Dreary, dank, and dimly lit. Truly a Sanctuary to call home."||In the main area of the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary|
|"I remember Skyrim from my youth, and the glistening crimson on fields of white."||While traveling the lands of Skyrim and not in any named location (i.e. not in or near caves, farms, etc.)|
|"There is no pain in the Void!"||While in combat|
|"You wish to kill me? Someone has already had that honor! [Laughing]"||While in combat|
|"I weep for you, mortal."||While in combat|
|"You would shut out the darkness?!"||While in combat|
|"The Dread/Death Lord awaits!"||While in combat|
|"All hail the savior of the Dark Brotherhood! All hail the Listener!"||Any time while summoned|
|"Have you heard the tale of Mathieu Bellamont, and the great treachery of Cheydinhal? Kill a boy's mother, and vengeance festers in the son..."||Any time while summoned|
|"I grow restless. As does my blade."||Any time while summoned|
|"In life, I was but a Speaker for the Black Hand, but you have been named Listener. There is no higher honor."||Any time while summoned|
|"Lead and I will follow, Child of Darkness."||Any time while summoned|
|"My blade is yours."||Any time while summoned|
|"I live... again."||Any time while summoned|
|"My name is... Lucien Lachance."||Any time while traveling, including in battle, though rarely said|
|"One day, you shall serve our Dread Father, as I do now."||Any time while summoned|
|"Perhaps we should find a random stranger to murder. Practice does make perfect."||Any time while summoned|
|"Shadowmere... my old and dear friend."||Near Shadowmere; before obtaining Shadowere, he may also say it when mounting any horse, but never if Shadowmere is killed|
|"The Dread Father works through me. And his work has just begun."||Any time while summoned|
|"There is murder in the air. I can taste it!"||Any time while summoned|
|"We are bonded now, you and I. Joined, through the powers of the Void."||Any time while summoned|
|"Your enemies will soon know the wrath of Sithis."||Any time while summoned|
|"What prey awaits us?"||Any time while summoned|
|"Lead on,."||Any time while summoned|
|"My Listener?"||While the Dragonborn is idle or if he is bumped into|
|"Begone."||If the Dragonborn is stealing without sneaking in a house they are trespassing in|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The voice actor for Lucien Lachance is Wes Johnson, who reprises his role from Oblivion.
- Casting certain effects on Lucien's ghost, such as Healing Hands or Courage, will cause his body to lose its spectral effect and become visible normally. This will reveal that he is wearing the shrouded robes, the same outfit as Gabriella and Festus Krex.
- Lucien also greets Shadowmere as an old friend when he is close to the horse.
- When Lachance comments on the quest "To Kill an Empire," he mentions apples. This refers to when Lucien gives a poisoned apple during the Purification quest in Oblivion, and had a barrel of poisoned apples inside Fort Farragut.
- One of Lachance's comments about "To Kill an Empire" refers to the Mythic Dawn killing Uriel Septim VII.
- Lucien's line "I am reminded of another Listener, a protege I knew long ago. So long ago..." likely refers to the Hero of Kvatch.
- Lucien pointing out that Mathieu is the traitor as well as seeming to know the Hero became the Listener suggests Lucien somehow became aware of events and revelations that transpired after his death.
- Although one cannot technically interact with Lucien (as he is a summon), he is able to be healed by Restoration spells such as Heal Other and Grand Healing. He also enters a "yield" stance when critically injured, like any other character.
- If Lucien is near a bard who is singing a neutral song, such as Ragnar the Red, he may clap his hands in a drunken manner, cheering on the Bard with the rest of the patrons.
- If Lucien is summoned while inside the mist in the main quest, "Sovngarde," he will appear in his human flesh.
- He counts as a conjured entity for the intents and purposes of Conjuration. Therefore, summoning another being (an atronach, Dremora or zombie) without the Twin Souls perk will cause him to vaporise.
- Since Lucien is considered a member of the Dark Brotherhood, the player must pay Nazir a fine for attacking him. The other Sanctuary members may turn hostile if they witness Lucien being attacked by the player.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
This section contains bugs related to Spectral Assassin (Skyrim). Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- Lucien's remains will not disappear if he is killed, even if inside cities.
- Lucien's spectral effect may disappear after fast traveling.confirmation needed