- Speak to Maramal about arranging the wedding
- Attend wedding ceremony
To begin the path to marriage, the Temple of Mara in Riften needs to be visited. Once inside, the Dragonborn should speak with Maramal, who will offer to sell them an Amulet of Mara for 200. When worn, a unique chat option with certain Characters will be added. If the spouse to be is a companion character they must first be hired before the option is unlocked. The other NPCs unlock their option by completing a quest for them. When an NPC has agreed to marry the Dragonborn, they must go to the Temple of Mara to have it arranged, it will usually take place 24 hours after the wedding has been set up. After the ceremony, spouse will ask where do the Dragonborn wants them to live; his/her house or in the Dragonborn's house.
Being married grants the following benefits from the spouse:
- Serving up a home-cooked meal once every 24 hours (in-game).
- Setting up shop in the house they are living in. If spouse was a merchant, they sell what they did before married. If they previously weren't a merchant, they will sell miscellaneous objects. Then, every 24 in-game hours they can be asked if the shop made any money and they will give the Dragonborn a share of the profits. This profit is 100 , though if not collected every day, the amount will accumulate until it is taken.
- Sleeping close to the spouse will add a bonus; Lover's Comfort, which all skills improve 15% faster, and lasts 8 hours.
- If spouse is also a follower, they can accompany the Dragonborn on their adventures without taking any money (if they previously were a mercenary).
For a list of potential spouses, visit the marriage page for descriptions and marriage requirements.
|The Bonds of Matrimony – RelationshipMarriage|
- The Dragonborn must be on time for their wedding. If late, they will have to talk to Maramal and reschedule. The potential spouse will also be upset and one must convince them that they really want to marry them.
- If spouse dies, it's impossible to remarry.
- Those with beast blood cannot receive the Lover's Comfort bonus from their spouse. Conversely, characters can receive a permanent Lover's Comfort bonus by way of the Lover Stone.