- 1 Summary
- 1.1 Credits
- 1.2 Contacting Bethesda Softworks
- 1.3 System Requirements
- 1.4 Undraping the Shroud from Daggerfall
- 1.5 Tamriel's Timeline
- 1.6 The Divine and the Royals
- 1.7 Major Character Classes
- 1.8 Daggerfall's FIVE Cornerstones of Insight
- 1.9 Exploring Tamriel
- 1.10 Enlightenment
- 1.11 Special Events
- 1.12 Civilization
- 1.13 Legerdemain
- 1.14 Close Encounters of the RPG Kind
- 1.15 Objects d'Daggerfall
- 1.16 Daggerfall's Glory Road—The Complete Walkthrough
- 1.17 The Dungeons
- 1.18 Index
- 2 Licensing
Page ii. Includes the title of the book and the creators (Ronald Wartow and Bethesda Softworks) on a piece of parchment in front of an off-white, papery background.
Contacting Bethesda Softworks
Page iii. Includes information about how to contact Bethesda Softworks. Note that the following content may be out-of-date.
- Technical Support and Customer Service
- Technical Support: (301) 963-2002, Monday through Friday, between 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.; Saturday, between 11:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. Eastern Time
- Customer Service: (301) 926-8300, Monday through Friday, between 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. Eastern Time
- The Bethesda Softworks BBS
- Bulletin Board Service: (301) 990-7552
- Bethesda Softworks On-Line
- Website: www.bethsoft.com
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- America Online: "Bethesda" e-mail Bethesda01
- Compuserve: Go Bethesda, e-mail 71333,234
- GEnie: "Scorpia" e-mail Bethesda
- Internet e-mail: email@example.com
- Prodigy: e-mail BJSY29B
- Correspondences should be sent to: Bethesda Softworks, 1370 Picard Drive, Rockville, Maryland 20850-4304
- Warranty materials should be sent to: Bethesda Softworks, P.O. Box 7877, Gaithersburg, Maryland 20898-7877
- Virgin Interactive Entertainment
- Virgin Interactive Entertainment (Europe) Limited. Address: 2 Kensington Square, London, W8 5RB, England.
- World Wide Web: http://www.vie.co.uk/vie
Page iii. Includes the system requirements for Daggerfall. Note that the following content may be out-of-date.
- Computer: IBM and 100% Compatibles.
- Operating System: Microsoft DOS 6.0 or greater.
- CPU: 486DX2/66 required minimum.
- Video Card: 256-color VGA, VLB, or PCI bus required.
- CD-ROM Drive: Double-speed CD-ROM drive required; MPC LEVEL 2 REQUIRED.
- Memory: 8MB RAM required minimum.
- Hard Disc Drive: 50MB available space required for minimum install.
- Sound Cards Supported: Sound Blaster,TM, Sound Blaster Pro,TM, Sound Blaster 16,TM, AWE 32,TM, Pro Audio Spectrum,TM, Ensoniq Soundscape,TM, Gravis Ultrasound,TM, and 100% compatibles.
- Input Device: Microsoft 100% compatible mouse required. Joystick optional.
- Windows 95 Compatibility: Compatible in MS-DOS mode with 16-bit CD-ROM and mouse drivers installed; compatible is MS-DOS box with sufficient free RAM.
Undraping the Shroud from Daggerfall
Page 1. Includes a small amount of background information about Daggerfall and The Daggerfall Chronicles.
Page 1. Contains a small amount of background information on Tamriel's landscape, inhabitants, and creatures, as well as a description of the meeting between the player character—the Hero of Daggerfall—and Emperor Uriel Septim VII which makes up the game's introduction.
What's in this Book
Page 3. The purpose of this section is illustrated by the preceding excerpt; to finalize the introduction to the book and to the world of Tamriel, and prepare the reader for the rest of the guide. Wartow finishes the section with a point that however the book is used, the purpose of the game is to have fun.
Page 5. Lists some notable and relevant dates on a Timeline.
The 1st Era
The 2nd Era
The 3rd Era
The Divine and the Royals
Page 11. Lists the eight traditionally worshipped gods in Tamriel (Akatosh, Arkay, Dibella, Julianos, Kynareth, Mara, Stendarr, and Zenithar) their spheres of influence, and their symbols. It then shows a table with each of the 45 regions in the game and their patron deities.
Page 14. Lists sixteen of the seventeen Daedric Princes in Tamriel (Azura, Boethiah, Clavicus Vile, Hermaeus Mora, Hircine, Malacath, Mehrunes Dagon, Mephala, Meridia, Molag Bal, Namira, Nocturnal, Peryite, Sanguine, Sheogorath, and Vaernima) and their spheres of influence. Omitted is Jyggalag, who, despite being mentioned in the Daggerfall book On Oblivion, does not receive any serious attention until The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion's expansion pack The Elder Scrolls IV: Shivering Isles.
Royal Family Trees
Page 15. Shows several family trees of the various relevant nobility of the Houses of Daggerfall, Sentinel, and Wayrest.
Major Character Classes
Page 17. Explains how Daggerfall's 18-class (Acrobat, Archer, Assassin, Barbarian, Bard, Battlemage, Burglar, Healer, Knight, Mage, Monk, Nightblade, Raanger, Rogue, Sorcerer, Spellsword, Thief, and Warrior) character system works and the various statistics for each class. Warton recommends either Battlemage or Spellsword for "ease of completion," and Thief for "the challenge of your role-playing life."
The next several pages list tables with statistics for the eight playable races in the game (Argonians, Bretons, Dark Elves, High Elves, Khajiit, Nords, Redguards, and Wood Elves). Omitted from these pages are Orcs and Imperials, who are not playable until The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, the series' third installment.
Daggerfall's FIVE Cornerstones of Insight
Page 28. Explains the importance of current events in Tamriel, such as wars, famines, and holidays, and that these can be kept up with by observing message boards in towns and cities. This section also lists all possible changing factors that could have an influence on gameplay:
- No particular condition
- War just begun
- War in progress
- War just won
- War just lost
- Plague just begun
- Plague spreading
- Plague just ended
- Famine just begun
- Famine spreading
- Famine ended
- Witch burnings
- Crime wave
- New ruler
- Bad harvest
- Religious persecution
- Prices up
- Prices down
- Happy holiday
- Scary holiday
- Holy holiday
It also mentions how to avoid areas with unpleasant conditions. It then lists a few examples of conditions that could be posted on signposts in settlements.
Page 30. Explains what factions are and the specifics of faction files from the Daggerfall program, as well as some data regarding faction types, ruler titles, and social class. It then lists a number of characters in the game and various faction-related statistics for each.
Skills and Advancement
Lay of the Land
Tamriel's Weather by Climate and Season
Travel, Movement, and Fatigue
Unique Dungeon Secrets
- Clean Sweeps
- Progressive Revelation of Dungeons
Stealing for Fun and Profit
PC Bookmarks—Save Game Strategies
- When, Where, and How to Save the Best Games
- How to Create Eight Billion Saved Games
Fine Art of Conversation and Rumors
Letters and Patience
Guilds, Temples of the Gods and Goddesses, and Orders
- Generic Guild Rules
- Mages Guild
- Fighters Guild
- Thieves Guild
- Dark Brotherhood
- Knightly Orders
Other Interesting Places
- Courts—Crime and Punishment
- Creating Spells from Scratch (SpellMaker)
- Enchanting Items (ItemMaker)
- Soul Gems
- Stirring Cauldrons (PotionMaker)
- Potion Recipes
Close Encounters of the RPG Kind
- Reactions and Aggression Levels
- Monster Compendium—Bestia Tactica
Preparation for Confrontation
- Daggerfall Combat Formulae and Saving Throws
- Magical Combat
Treasure and Booty
Live to Fight Another Day
Poisons and Drugs
- Ingredients and Damage
- Saving Throws
Daggerfall's Glory Road—The Complete Walkthrough
- The Battle of Cryngaine Field
- The Real Story
- Enter the PC
- The Six Endings
Quick and Dirty Solution
- Main Characters
Quest by Quest
- Quest Blueprint
- Instructions from the Empire
- Concern for Nulfaga
- The Beast
- Elysana's Robe
- Morgiab's Wedding
- The Missing Prince
- The Emperor's Courier
- Mynisera's Letters
- Soul of a Lich
- Barenziah's Book
- Painting the Truth
- Orcish Emancipation
- The Ancient Watcher
- Medora's Freedom
- Dust of Restful Death
- Lysandus' Revelation
- Lysandus' Revenge
- The Mantella Revealed
- Elysana's Betrayal
- Totem, Totem, who gets the Totem?
- Journey to Aetherius
- Privateer's Hold
- Scourg Barrow
- Castle Daggerfall
- Direnni Tower
- Castle Wayrest
- Castle Sentinel
- Castle Llugwych
- Lysandus' Tomb
- Woodborne Hall
- Mantellan Crux