- For the subject of the quest, see Horn of Jurgen Windcaller.
The Horn of Jurgen Windcaller is a quest available in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. After completing The Way of the Voice, Arngeir sends the Dragonborn to Ustengrav, tasked with recovering the Horn of Jurgen Windcaller. Arriving to find it stolen, the Dragonborn must discover its whereabouts.
- Retrieve the Horn of Jurgen Windcaller
- Meet with whoever took the horn
- Return the horn to Arngeir
- Learn the Word of Power from Wulfgar
- Receive the Greybeards' greeting
First, travel to Ustengrav, which is just northeast of Morthal. Inside are Mages, Necromancers, Draugr, and Conjurers fighting each other. Expect the necromancers to use Conjuration spells to reanimate any corpses almost immediately, whether they spawned alive or dead first, and then deal with ash piles left behind if the corpses were already dead before being reanimated upon returning after the area respawns. There are four things of note in this tomb: a hard-to-reach room, a word of power for the "Become Ethereal" shout, a puzzle room, and a note.
The hard-to-reach room is in Ustengrav Depths. In there, the large pillars have collapsed paths along them. Find the rock closest to the first pillar and jump across to it. Whirlwind Sprint is needed to reach the last two pillars. At the end is a room with a dead Draugr, a Soul Gem, and a chest.
There is a waterfall back in the main cavern on the north side and a path that leads down to it. A Word Wall for the shout Become Ethereal is next to it. There is a level dependent Draugr slumbering in a small cave behind the waterfall itself, as well as a chest.
The puzzle room
There is a puzzle room with three stones that activate three timed doors, use Whirlwind Sprint within distance of the two farthest stones and then immediately sprint through the gates. The stones are proximity sensitive, but only two of the three can be activated from one place, nor will a waiting follower keep them activated. Activate the two furthest from the gates. The third activates and opens its gate as it is passed using Whirlwind Sprint. The Dragonborn can sprint to the third stone and then use Whirlwind twice. Note that the acceleration due to sprinting is a factor of armor weight, so a more heavily armored Dragonborn may find it easier to disrobe first. Once all of the gates are passed, they remain open, allowing followers to catch up unscathed.
The flaming floor
After going through the catacomb-like room, there is a room with a large number of pressure-triggered fire traps on the floor. The curved diamond shapes in the center of each tile are different shades of gray. The lighter tiles are safe to step on, while the darker ones will trigger flame traps. Another solution, aside from using Whirlwind Sprint, is to use the Become Ethereal shout, which will render the flames harmless for as long as the shout is in effect. The Sneak perk, Light Foot, will also work for bypassing the trap. It is also possible to walk on the rocky sides rather than the pressure tiles for most of the trapped hall. Another solution is to shoot the tiles with a spell such as Firebolt or Ice Spike. Flames/Sparks, etc. do not work. The impact of a bolt or spike is enough to set off the trap if it is not a safe tile. Yet another way is look at the tiles, because the safe tiles have a light diamond in the middle and the traps have a dark diamond. Additionally, spell absorption will absorb the flames and protect the Dragonborn from harm (when it activates). After passing the pressure plates, there may be one or two regular frostbite spiders and one Giant Frostbite Spider. The pair of spiders can be lured onto the traps.
After making it past the spiders and fire traps, there is a doorway blocked by spider webs, which can be cut with a sword. Behind is a wooden door, which leads to a gate activated by a chain. This leads to a room where four statues rise out of the water.
The Unfortunate News
Unfortunately, the horn has been stolen and replaced with a note. The note is in the hand of the deceased Jurgen Windcaller, where the horn should be. The note must be actively taken and read, even though the quest system tells its contents when it announces that the objective to retrieve the Horn of Jurgen Windcaller failed.
The note sends the Dragonborn to the Sleeping Giant Inn in Riverwood. Talk to Delphine and ask to rent the attic room. She will say that they do not have an attic room, but to take the room on the left. Go into the room. If Delphine does not immediately enter the room, sleep or wait for a few hours. Delphine will then be there. After the conversation, follow her and she will give the Dragonborn the horn. She will then ask that she be joined on a quest to prove the player is a Dragonborn. This begins the "A Blade in the Dark" quest.
Return to the Greybeards
Following this, the Greybeards will perform a ritual that formally recognizes the Dragonborn as Dovahkiin. The Greybeards shout in unison in the Dragon language the following:
Naal Thu'umu, mu ofan nii nu, Dovahkiin, naal suleyk do Kaan, naal suleyk do Shor, ahrk naal suleyk do Atmorasewuth.
Myez nu Ysmir, Dovahsebrom. Dahmaan dar rok."
Once the ritual is finished, the quest is completed.
|The Horn of Jurgen Windcaller – MQ105Ustengrav|
|10||After demonstrating my ability to learn Words of Power and to Shout, the Greybeard Arngeir has sent me on a final trial - retrieving the Horn of Jurgen Windcaller from his tomb in Ustengrav, a burial mound in the marshes of Hjaalmarch.
|20||After demonstrating my ability to learn Words of Power and to Shout, the Greybeard Arngeir sent me on a final trial - retrieving the Horn of Jurgen Windcaller from his tomb in Ustengrav. Unfortunately, when I reached the tomb, I found that someone had replaced the Horn of Jurgen Windcaller with a note asking me to meet them in the Sleeping Giant Inn in Riverwood.
|30||After demonstrating my ability to learn Words of Power and to Shout, the Greybeard Arngeir sent me on a final trial - retrieving the Horn of Jurgen Windcaller from his tomb in Ustengrav. When I arrived, the horn was missing, and in its place was a note from Delphine asking me to meet her in Riverwood. Delphine has given me the horn, so I can now return to Arngeir and complete my training.
|60||After demonstrating my ability to learn Words of Power and to Shout, the Greybeard Arngeir sent me on a final trial - retrieving the Horn of Jurgen Windcaller from his tomb in Ustengrav. When I arrived, the Horn was missing, and in its place was a note from Delphine asking me to meet her in Riverwood. Delphine gave me the Horn, and I returned it to Arngeir to complete my trial. The Greybeards then greeted me formally as Dragonborn, and High Hrothgar is now open to me.
- If the Dragonborn does not have any gold when asking to rent the attic room from Delphine, the room can be rented for free.
- After completing the quest, the Dragonborn can return to Ustengrav and activate the altar where the note was to return the horn and receive a free Dragon Soul.
- After presenting the horn to Arngeir, when he performs the ritual that formally recognizes the Dragonborn as a Dovahkiin, any followers that may be there will not die, even though it is said that even a whisper could kill anyone who is not prepared.
- After the ritual is completed, the player can ask Arngeir to translate it, to which he will say: "Long has the Stormcrown languished, with no worthy brow to sit upon. By our breath we bestow it now to you in the name of Kyne, in the name of Shor, and in the name of Atmora the Old. You are Ysmir now, the Dragon of the North, hearken to it."
- If the Dragonborn add-on has been installed, the first quest of the add-on is available upon receiving this quest.
- Upon entering the tomb two Mages will be at the end of the corridor. You can wait for the Mages to leave the area and they will be killed by the Draugr in the next area.
player.additem 0003031F 1can add Delphine's note to the player's inventory.
The Horn of Jurgen Windcaller may still be on the altar. Using console command
If the Dragonborn skips entering the attic room and talks to Delphine outside, the Dragonborn will not receive the Horn of Jurgen Windcaller and will not be able to continue on with the rest of the main storyline.
setstage MQ105Ustengrav 60. Doing so will instantly complete the quest. Solution: Enter this command in the console:
- Solution: Enter this command in the console:
- There is a chance that the Shout word "Dah" will be written on the floor and not be able to be learned.
- When crossing the puzzle room, a collision glitch may occur and result in the Dragonborn falling through the floor of the cell.
- Sometimes, after asking to rent the attic room from Delphine, the bed in the room will not change from 'owned' status, freezing the quest. Quick saving, punching Delphine and Quick load fixes this.
Occasionally, after returning the Horn to Arngeir, he and Borri will be stuck in an animation loop next to the gate used to train Whirlwind Sprint. This will freeze the quest, as they will not go into the main hall to trigger the Dovahkiin ritual.
- Solution: If the gate is closed, walk towards it and push into it. This should trigger the gate to re-open, and Arngeir and Borri should walk off the animation triggers on their own to continue the quest.
- If a save file is reloaded in the second half of the dungeon, the last door will not open as the chain prompt will not appear. This can be fixed by going back through the load door to the first half, and re-entering the second half.
|Skyrim Main Quests|
|Act I||Unbound • Before the Storm • Bleak Falls Barrow • Dragon Rising • The Way of the Voice |
The Horn of Jurgen Windcaller
|Act II||A Blade in the Dark • Diplomatic Immunity • A Cornered Rat • Alduin's Wall • The Throat of the World |
Elder Knowledge • Alduin's Bane
|Act III||Season Unending • The Fallen • The World-Eater's Eyrie • Sovngarde |
Dragonslayer • Epilogue