The Missing Scholar is a Temples quest available during the events of The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall. The Agent must rescue a missing scholar from one of the Iliac Bay's many dungeons at the behest of one the Eight Divine Temples.
After joining one of the Eight Divine Temples scattered throughout the Iliac Bay, the Agent will be assigned randomly determined quests to complete by the Temple's missionary.
- Speak with a missionary from a joined Temple.
- Journey to the specified dungeon.
- Enter the dungeon and search for the missing scholar.
- Speak with the scholar.
- Escape the dungeon and return to the missionary, with the scholar, before the time limit expires to complete the quest.
When speaking with a missionary from the Temple in the Iliac Bay that the Agent has joined, it is revealed that a scholarly cleric from the Temple has disappeared. Accepting the quest will reveal that the cleric was investigating one of the many dungeons of the Iliac Bay, and it is up to the Agent to find them and return them to the Temple.
After venturing to the specified dungeon, the Agent will have to search for the missing scholar, battling the usual collection of dungeon enemies. The scholar will eventually be found somewhere within, and will say one of two things when spoken to:
The scholar will then join the Agent in order to get back to the Temple. The Agent must get her safely out of the dungeon and back to the missionary before the time limit expires to complete the quest, otherwise the scholar will declare:
If this message appears, then the Agent will have effectively failed the quest.
The success or failure of the Agent in undertaking the quest will affect their reputation in the Temple:
|The Missing Scholar - c0b00y03|
[Quest giver's name] of [temple] has sent me to [dungeon] to rescue a cleric named [cleric's name] who disappeared down there. I have [x] days to find the [cleric's description] and return to [town] and [temple].
- While "accompanying" the Agent, the scholar will effectively be in the Agent's inventory, rather than at their side.
- This is true of all followers in The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall.
- The NPCs of the region in which the quest takes place will have a variety of comments to make during and after the quest when asked for any news:
- "[Cleric's name] was a fool to go unarmed into [dungeon]."
- "[Dungeon] is no place for a scholarly [cleric's description] like [cleric's name]."
- "Thanks to that [player's race], [cleric's name] has started work on a history of [dungeon]."
- "Rescuing [cleric's name] increased [temple]'s estimation of you."
- "Everyone's given up hope of ever seeing [cleric's name] again."
- "[Quest giver's name] is grieving over the disappearance of [cleric's name]."
|The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall – Temples|
|Temples||Akatosh Chantry • Order of Arkay • House of Dibella • School of Julianos • Temple of Kynareth • Benevolence of Mara • Temple of Stendarr • Resolution of Z'en|
|Templar Orders||Order of the Hour • Knights of the Circle • Order of the Lily • Knights Mentor • Kynaran Order • Maran Knights • Crusaders • Knights of Iron|
|Non-member Quests||The Healing • The Spook • The Stolen Item • An Errand|
|Member Quests||The Haunted House • The Obsessed Child • The Missing Scholar • The Insane Priest • Hunt for Undead • The Heretic • The Cursed Weapon • The Expiatory Sacrifice • A Delivery • The Relic • The Rite of Atonement • The Great Evil|
|Unique Quests||Avenge the Dragons • The Desecrated Temple • Desired Artwork • The Price of Knowledge • The Arm of Fury • A Powerful Spirit • A Special Plant • The Bounty|