The Seven Thousand Steps wraps around the Throat of the World, the largest mountain in all of Tamriel, and leads to the residence of The Greybeards, at the monastery of High Hrothgar. The Steps are accessed by the bridge nearest Fellstar Farm, where Klimmek and Gwilin are first encountered speaking of climbing the steps.
During the Main Quest, the Dragonborn will be summoned to High Hrothgar to meet the Greybeards, but climbing the Seven Thousand Steps is the first challenge. Along the way are ten wayshrines to read and contemplate. If all ten are read, the Dragonborn will receive the blessing Voice of the Sky, which lasts one day.
- The 7000 Steps is likely a reference to the legendary Mount Tai (or Tai Shan) in China, which is said to have 7000 stairs leading to a summit that unites Heaven and Earth.
- In an interview, Todd Howard jokingly mentioned that he would count all the steps leading up to High Hrothgar to make sure it's 7,000.
- Counting each visible step will only get one to around 700–800, though the path itself is quite worn and snow seems to cover much of it.
- It is not known who made the steps, but one can assume that, at one point, they were known as the 418 steps in the book "The Five Songs of King Wulfharth." It is recorded that circa 1E 500 after a dragon had damaged the steps the king repaired them.
- M'aiq the Liar has this to say about the steps: "M'aiq once walked to High Hrothgar. So many steps, he lost count."