FANDOM


  • I've looked at other threads and most people only talk about game mechanics perks of each faction to decide which to join, couldn't really find lore talk.

    If there's no official canon choice, which is more logical story-wise? I sided with the vampires and have only read up on the DG side so it's unclear to me. From what I understand, joining either faction essentially leads to the same outcome, Serana chooses to betray Harkon because of his evil plans and helps the Dragonborn stop him.

    Does it make sense for the Dawnguard to forgo their ways and allow Serana to live? Harkon's evil is definitely more important but it makes it look more logical to join the vampire's side and know what it's actually like and find out for yourself how evil Harkon is and eventually replace Harkon as the vampire lord for the better, you end up helping Serana from the beginning. It seems hypocritical to join the Dawnguard then help Serana defeat her father, and then let her live then continue to be a Dawnguard.

    To be honest, I find it weird for the Dragonborn to be in any type of beast form.

      Loading editor
    • What I  believe is canon til the the next game says is canon is the cover art of the game in the DLC Vaniila Nord male who likes a mix of Iron and Studded armor,Then his eyes are glowing and Dawngaurd so most be a vampire and Dragonborn he basically becomes Hermaeus Mora servent and wears Miraak armor. I hope he finds a way out of servitude so maybe he could be the next empreor... But I don't think Bethasda is that way so probably unkown fate like the rest.

        Loading editor
    • It doesn't matter which is canon because the sun will be burnt out by the time Bethesda gets around to making Elder Scrolls 6 

        Loading editor
    • Dawnguard is Canon. Before you go to the Soul Carin, serana asks you if you want to become a vampire so i think the dragonborn did become a vampire in the middle of the quest until the end of the quest where you get cured from falion in the end of the quest.

        Loading editor
    • The side which gives you Crossbows.

        Loading editor
    • Ifnsman wrote: The side which gives you Crossbows.

      you can loot crossbows from dawnguard members if you're a vampire

        Loading editor
    • The Beautiful Princess Ashley wrote:

      Ifnsman wrote: The side which gives you Crossbows.

      you can loot crossbows from dawnguard members if you're a vampire

      Yes, but the Dawnguard GIVES you Crossbows.

        Loading editor
    • Ifnsman wrote: Yes, but the Dawnguard GIVES you Crossbows.

      which totally influences which side is canon/more logical

        Loading editor
    • The Beautiful Princess Ashley wrote:

      Ifnsman wrote: Yes, but the Dawnguard GIVES you Crossbows.

      which totally influences which side is canon/more logical

      Yes, let's pretend that my original reply was completely 100% serious.

      It totally does. ENHANCED DWARVEN CROSSBOW FTW.

      Crossbows4BaseGameTESVI (trend the hashtag on Twitter now)

        Loading editor
    • Ifnsman wrote:

      The Beautiful Princess Ashley wrote:

      Ifnsman wrote: Yes, but the Dawnguard GIVES you Crossbows.

      which totally influences which side is canon/more logical

      Yes, let's pretend that my original reply was completely 100% serious.

      It totally does. ENHANCED DWARVEN CROSSBOW FTW.

      Crossbows4BaseGameTESVI (trend the hashtag on Twitter now)

      ok, you've convinced me. the canon outcome of the dawnguard questline is... TES 3 Morrowind. more crossbows is more canon, right?

        Loading editor
    • The Beautiful Princess Ashley wrote:

      Ifnsman wrote:

      The Beautiful Princess Ashley wrote:

      Ifnsman wrote: Yes, but the Dawnguard GIVES you Crossbows.

      which totally influences which side is canon/more logical
      Yes, let's pretend that my original reply was completely 100% serious.

      It totally does. ENHANCED DWARVEN CROSSBOW FTW.

      Crossbows4BaseGameTESVI (trend the hashtag on Twitter now)

      ok, you've convinced me. the canon outcome of the dawnguard questline is... TES 3 Morrowind. more crossbows is more canon, right?

      YES. Now you're getting it!

      TheEndingOfTheWordsIsCrossbow

        Loading editor
    • Wot in ternation are you noobs doing?

        Loading editor
    • Dawnguard is canon because it's more realistic with the DLC plot. No one, besides you and Serana, choses Valerica over Lord Harkon, in fact, all the other vampires seem to be in favor of using Auriel's Bow to create eternal darkness. They WANT the profecy to happen.

      As a Dawnguard, vampires will hunt you down and won't simply let you walk inside Castle Volkihar with Auriel's Bow and kill their master like if it was an april's fool prank.

      Meanwhile in Vampire ending: "So, you killed our master AND there will be no more eternal darkness because of you?? okay... let's just be friends and keep hiding in this castle for all eternity, because of you".

        Loading editor
    • Myrddion Merlinus wrote: Dawnguard is canon because it's more realistic with the DLC plot. No one, besides you and Serana, choses Valerica over Lord Harkon, in fact, all the other vampires seem to be in favor of using Auriel's Bow to create eternal darkness. They WANT the profecy to happen.

      As a Dawnguard, vampires will hunt you down and won't simply let you walk inside Castle Volkihar with Auriel's Bow and kill their master like if it was an april's fool prank.

      Meanwhile in Vampire ending: "So, you killed our master AND there will be no more eternal darkness because of you?? okay... let's just be friends and keep hiding in this castle for all eternity, because of you".

      no, it's not canon because the dragonborn has a choice. it may seem more logical to you that the dovahkiin joins the dawnguard, but that does not mean that canon lore should reflect this. if one side were made canon, that would invalidate millions of playthroughs. people don't like that.

        Loading editor
    • The Beautiful Princess Ashley wrote: if one side were made canon, that would invalidate millions of playthroughs. people don't like that.

      You mean player-choice hasn't been invalidated by successive iterations of TES games before? *le gasp*

      Edit: In all seriousness, if I gave myself the time to, I could probably list all of the different player-choices in past games that have been referenced with a certain result in later games.

      It's not like "invalidating" them even matters, because that doesn't affect whether you can still do them within the past games themselves.

        Loading editor
    • first sorry for bad english

      well i think dragonborn become a vampire lord

      it was shown both in poster of the TESV: Dawnguard and the Trailer

      they could show dragonborn in full armor of dawnguard or they could show both of the choices(dragonborn vampire lord or dragonborn in dawnguard armor so people say both of this could happen) in both trailer and in poster but they only show dragonborn became a vampire lord

      ofcourse skyrim is game of choice and player can be anyone but in canon i think dragonborn become a vampire lord

        Loading editor
    • Ifnsman wrote:

      The Beautiful Princess Ashley wrote: if one side were made canon, that would invalidate millions of playthroughs. people don't like that.

      You mean player-choice hasn't been invalidated by successive iterations of TES games before? *le gasp*

      Edit: In all seriousness, if I gave myself the time to, I could probably list all of the different player-choices in past games that have been referenced with a certain result in later games.

      It's not like "invalidating" them even matters, because that doesn't affect whether you can still do them within the past games themselves.

      i can only think of 2 examples of a player choice being invalidated: whoever did the morrowind mages guild did not kill the telvanni councillors, and whoever did oblivion's clavicus vile quest did not keep the sword. other than that, i can think of nothing.

        Loading editor
    • The Beautiful Princess Ashley wrote: i can only think of 2 examples of a player choice being invalidated: whoever did the morrowind mages guild did not kill the telvanni councillors, and whoever did oblivion's clavicus vile quest did not keep the sword. other than that, i can think of nothing.

      The very fact you can think of any in the first place solidifies this.

      As a quick third example; the Werewolf version of Bloodmoon's main quest is non-canon, because "Captain" Falx Carius was spared (you have to kill him at the end of the werewolf quest-chain) and becomes a General later.

        Loading editor
    • Ifnsman wrote:

      The Beautiful Princess Ashley wrote: i can only think of 2 examples of a player choice being invalidated: whoever did the morrowind mages guild did not kill the telvanni councillors, and whoever did oblivion's clavicus vile quest did not keep the sword. other than that, i can think of nothing.

      The very fact you can think of any in the first place solidifies this.

      As a quick third example; the Werewolf version of Bloodmoon's main quest is non-canon, because "Captain" Falx Carius was spared (you have to kill him at the end of the werewolf quest-chain) and becomes a General later.

      i have never claimed that it never happened, i have claimed that people don't like it when it happens. i know it happens, although infrequently.

        Loading editor
    • Over all both can be considered cannon in simply rellies on whether you are considering the dovahkiin's dovish instincts of the quest of power or his heroic service to humanity and the divines. The vampires are more likely in terms of the dovian instincts; which are more likely to take prescedence in his accions. 

        Loading editor
    • A Warp in the West shows that the lore creators try to avoid situations when player's choices are confirmed in canon. As in the above examples, they had to select an ending for Bloodmoon, if they wanted to have Solstheim again and Neloth was just spared due to fan-service, he didn't have to reappear ever again. So I think both paths will be canon if we ever have TES VI, there will be no mention on who the hero joined. This is why there are few choices, so that they present no problems for follow-up stories.

        Loading editor
    • Mr. president1 wrote:
      A Warp in the West shows that the lore creators try to avoid situations when player's choices are confirmed in canon. As in the above examples, they had to select an ending for Bloodmoon, if they wanted to have Solstheim again and Neloth was just spared due to fan-service, he didn't have to reappear ever again. So I think both paths will be canon if we ever have TES VI, there will be no mention on who the hero joined. This is why there are few choices, so that they present no problems for follow-up stories.

      Even then, the Warp in the West (the retcon to TES2: Daggerfall's endings) is considered a special case; primarily because there weren't just two or three, but SIX possible endings in that game.

      So now the Warp in the West can be considered the "seventh/true" ending.

        Loading editor
    • if the "wArp In tHe WeSt" makes everything canon then XxxDarkAssassinSlayerxxX the tank engine born with a tommy wiseua companion living in epicland with a army of lobsters is canon. i hate the warp in the west concept because it isn't real since the hero of kvatch did to the main questline, thats canon, there is canon endings to games, just because one ending is canon doesnt mean you cant play the other side.

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
*Disclosure: Some of the links above are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, Fandom will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.

Fandom may earn an affiliate commission on sales made from links on this page.

Stream the best stories.

Fandom may earn an affiliate commission on sales made from links on this page.

Get Disney+