FANDOM


  • I'm just curious as to why no one has taken the time out to write an actual book based on the Elder Scrolls series. There is plenty of stuff within the games to give anyone a groundframe to work with, so why are there no books? Not only that, there is so much freedom within this world that you could make up any story during any time period and make it believable right? Am I the only one who feels like there should be some actual books?

      Loading editor
    • I see your point and agree, IM guessing Bethesda doesn't want to or at least not yet...

        Loading editor
    • Or maybe no one has approached them with the topic. They make a ton of money off of the games alone I'm sure but why not expand the market? I may be getting a bit ahead of myself but with a world like this I think you could make a compelling book series and even movie series (Lord of the Rings comes to mind). Natually, you could even take some of the books from within the games and expand them into full blown stories. Heck, I'm on a book collecting spree in my playthrough at the moment. Some of these books if they were real would be legit lol.

        Loading editor
    • There are books Infernal City and Lord of Souls.

        Loading editor
    • Those flew under the radar. . . Why have I never heard of these?

        Loading editor
    • AzuraKnight wrote:
      There are books Infernal City and Lord of Souls.

      What are they about?

        Loading editor
    • Click the Amazon links i left above or look at the wiki pages here and here.

        Loading editor
    • Yeah, one of my buddies said something about writing a book series that features the whole storyline. I told him he was nuts at the time, but I see now it might not be such a bad idea. Well, he'll have to do it himself. I'm too busy with my own books as it is.

        Loading editor
    • Onikviingvahlok wrote:
      Yeah, one of my buddies said something about writing a book series that features the whole storyline. I told him he was nuts at the time, but I see now it might not be such a bad idea. Well, he'll have to do it himself. I'm too busy with my own books as it is.

      Im doing it too but not the whole storyline, im doing something featuring something so terrible that nobody wants to remember it :)

        Loading editor
    • Msirae wrote:
      Those flew under the radar. . . Why have I never heard of these?

      Perhaps they didnt sell as good as Bethesda thought and maybe thats why they stopped?

        Loading editor
    • Msirae wrote:
      Those flew under the radar. . . Why have I never heard of these?

      Don't know, but so far I have liked them. Not just races, but other things, like the priest of Azura who gets visions of the future, etc. Pretty good!

        Loading editor
    • The problem with books outside of a game or television or movie series is that so many different people write those things, and only one person writes a book - ultimately.  Then when you start getting into book series and sections more than one person is writing different parts of them and you end up getting fans of only certain authors and things like that.  The World of Warcraft books and short stories are pretty good as a whole, but there's certain authors that I think should give up writing altogether.  I think it's better that they keep the books in-game for the most part to keep things on a level playing field.

        Loading editor
    • PsijicThief wrote:
      The problem with books outside of a game or television or movie series is that so many different people write those things, and only one person writes a book - ultimately.  Then when you start getting into book series and sections more than one person is writing different parts of them and you end up getting fans of only certain authors and things like that.  The World of Warcraft books and short stories are pretty good as a whole, but there's certain authors that I think should give up writing altogether.  I think it's better that they keep the books in-game for the most part to keep things on a level playing field.

      The thing is, these books are full novels, and only made by one person. They are new storeis, not just things to explain lore. Saying that they don't deserve a shot is kind of mean to the author, also.

        Loading editor
    • I'm only mean to the author's that can't write . . .or at least that don't write in the style I think is required.  It's a double-edged sword when you start having books being extensions of things like this.

        Loading editor
    • If TES got a well respected author like, say, George R. R. Martin to write a novel... that could open up whole possibilities.

        Loading editor
    • Th3Antioch wrote:
      If TES got a well respected author like, say, George R. R. Martin to write a novel... that could open up whole possibilities.

      Oh yeah.He would change TES universe to it's more darker side.Could be very interesting. 

        Loading editor
    • I have both TES novels. I have them for their novelty though. Pun definitely intended. I haven't got round to reading them.

        Loading editor
    • Th3Antioch wrote:
      If TES got a well respected author like, say, George R. R. Martin to write a novel... that could open up whole possibilities.

      I can imagine it:

      "Ulfric went to his friend's wedding and DIED. Then his killers were KILLED by bandits. Then those bandits were EATEN by wolves. Then it turned out it wasn't actually Ulfric who had died at the wedding. He had spent the morning eating a breakfast of stewed plums, honeyed pears, fresh baked bread, blood sausage and a mug of Nord Mead to wash it down. And then DIED. PLOT TWIST."

        Loading editor
    • They should be written by Stephenie Meyer! Or perhaps E. L. James. Because, they would be the best for the job, obviously (Sarcasm). I do think that TES books should be written perhaps by someone actually affiliated with Bethesda, to make sure it is as true to the lore and as open-minded for fans as possible.

        Loading editor
    • Draevan13 wrote:
      Th3Antioch wrote:
      If TES got a well respected author like, say, George R. R. Martin to write a novel... that could open up whole possibilities.
      I can imagine it:

      "Ulfric went to his friend's wedding and DIED. Then his killers were KILLED by bandits. Then those bandits were EATEN by wolves. Then it turned out it wasn't actually Ulfric who had died at the wedding. He had spent the morning eating a breakfast of stewed plums, honeyed pears, fresh baked bread, blood sausage and a mug of Nord Mead to wash it down. And then DIED. PLOT TWIST."

      That's fun,but it's not like that.He first makes you accostumed to that character.Then he kill it,cold blood.That makes you lose your soul for some time.You don't know it,but everytime the Dragonborn cast Soul Trap on something,its Martin doing his nefarious arts through the Dragonborn's hands.I'm still getting over the Red Wedding...

      Plus,imagine a Elder Scroll equivalent of Tyrion Lannister?

        Loading editor
    • I loved hearing non-book readers speculate about Robb's future, such as "Oh, I'm sure he'll ally with Daenerys and kill all the Lannisters!" all the while thinking "HAHA, HE DIES."

        Loading editor
    • I'm still getting over Eddard Stark... But seriously, if Bethseda gave him some guide lines, I could see Martin writing an intrigue in High Rock really well, or something in the courts of the Imperial City, or even within the Aldmeri Dominion. He could really add a new layer to the lore.

        Loading editor
    • Draevan13 wrote:
      I loved hearing non-book readers speculate about Robb's future, such as "Oh, I'm sure he'll ally with Daenerys and kill all the Lannisters!" all the while thinking "HAHA, HE DIES."

      Please no spoilers! I'm only halfway through Clash of Kings!

        Loading editor
    • Draevan13 wrote:
      I loved hearing non-book readers speculate about Robb's future, such as "Oh, I'm sure he'll ally with Daenerys and kill all the Lannisters!" all the while thinking "HAHA, HE DIES."

      Please dude,no spoilers.Is these kinds of twists that make it beautiful.

        Loading editor
    • "Joffrey adopts a lion cub and learns the true meaning of Christmas."

      "Jaime Lannister forms Westertos' first heavy metal band, King Slayer."

      "The Lords and Ladies of Winterfell are saved by their long-lost cousin, Tony Stark."

      "Winter comes. It's not so bad. Cosy, even."

      "Arya discovers the ruins of the Statue of Liberty and learns she was on Earth the whole time."

      "Hodor."

        Loading editor
    • Th3Antioch wrote:
      I'm still getting over Eddard Stark... But seriously, if Bethseda gave him some guide lines, I could see Martin writing an intrigue in High Rock really well, or something in the courts of the Imperial City, or even within the Aldmeri Dominion. He could really add a new layer to the lore.

      Humm.I think the Dominion would be perfect,for that matter.All of the Dominion.Err we would see some The Real Barenziah like sequencies,but we're all past over it,now.

        Loading editor
    • Draevan13 wrote:

      "Arya discovers the ruins of the Statue of Liberty and learns she was on Earth the whole time."

      Only now i realized this was a Planet of the Apes reference.

        Loading editor
    • Sky Above,Voice Within
      Sky Above,Voice Within removed this reply because:
      Double post.
      22:43, August 13, 2013
      This reply has been removed
    • You maniac. You blew it all up!

        Loading editor
    • UselessArgonianMage wrote:
      They should be written by Stephenie Meyer! Or perhaps E. L. James. Because, they would be the best for the job, obviously (Sarcasm). I do think that TES books should be written perhaps by someone actually affiliated with Bethesda, to make sure it is as true to the lore and as open-minded for fans as possible.

      Excuse me! Did you just saey Stephenie Meyer, to ruin Elder Scrolls! You truly live up to your name!

        Loading editor
    • Dolphin8 wrote:
      UselessArgonianMage wrote:
      They should be written by Stephenie Meyer! Or perhaps E. L. James. Because, they would be the best for the job, obviously (Sarcasm). I do think that TES books should be written perhaps by someone actually affiliated with Bethesda, to make sure it is as true to the lore and as open-minded for fans as possible.
      Excuse me! Did you just saey Stephenie Meyer, to ruin Elder Scrolls! You truly live up to your name!

      He said sarcasm,SARCASM!For Potema's eidar cheese,SARCASM!

        Loading editor
    • Sky Above,Voice Within wrote:
      Dolphin8 wrote:
      UselessArgonianMage wrote:
      They should be written by Stephenie Meyer! Or perhaps E. L. James. Because, they would be the best for the job, obviously (Sarcasm). I do think that TES books should be written perhaps by someone actually affiliated with Bethesda, to make sure it is as true to the lore and as open-minded for fans as possible.
      Excuse me! Did you just saey Stephenie Meyer, to ruin Elder Scrolls! You truly live up to your name!
      He said sarcasm,SARCASM!For Potema's eidar cheese,SARCASM!
      • smacks self* Didn't see that. Sorry ArgonianMage, just got angry there.
        Loading editor
    • Th3Antioch wrote:
      If TES got a well respected author like, say, George R. R. Martin to write a novel... that could open up whole possibilities.

      The Author who wrote the two TES novels is really good. He wrote a pretty good series of Star Wars novels as well. And a series of Babylon 5 novels, but I never got into Babylon 5. Also a series of Steampunk/Alchemical novels involving Benjamin Franklin and issac Newton that I'ce heard really good things about. 

      I think George R.R. Martin would write to much about the political side of the world, which works great for A Song of Ice and Fire. TES has always had a heavier focus on the adventure and the lore though, rather than the politics.

        Loading editor
    • ZakMarcus wrote:
      Th3Antioch wrote:
      If TES got a well respected author like, say, George R. R. Martin to write a novel... that could open up whole possibilities.

      I think George R.R. Martin would write to much about the political side of the world, which works great for A Song of Ice and Fire. TES has always had a heavier focus on the adventure and the lore though, rather than the politics.

      That's why a Martin's concept of the things would be cool.

        Loading editor
    • ZakMarcus wrote:
      Th3Antioch wrote:
      If TES got a well respected author like, say, George R. R. Martin to write a novel... that could open up whole possibilities.
      The Author who wrote the two TES novels is really good. He wrote a pretty good series of Star Wars novels as well. And a series of Babylon 5 novels, but I never got into Babylon 5. Also a series of Steampunk/Alchemical novels involving Benjamin Franklin and issac Newton that I'ce heard really good things about. 

      I think George R.R. Martin would write to much about the political side of the world, which works great for A Song of Ice and Fire. TES has always had a heavier focus on the adventure and the lore though, rather than the politics.

      Can you imagine though the politcal side of the events leading up to the great war, and the great war, and it's aftermath? That would be quite interesting.

        Loading editor
    • Curse you guys. those two books that were written cost me $20, and I must admit, I was kind of disappointed.

        Loading editor
    • Onikviingvahlok wrote:
      Curse you guys. those two books that were written cost me $20, and I must admit, I was kind of disappointed.

      Really? I liked them a lot. I did feel like they should have been longer to give it more depth, but they were still pretty good I thought.

        Loading editor
    • I wouldn't read it though. Might get instantly blinded! Oh! Bethesda might market a reading lamp to go with it, one that focusses starlight. Then i would buy.

        Loading editor
    • 77.172.125.107 wrote:
      I wouldn't read it though. Might get instantly blinded! Oh! Bethesda might market a reading lamp to go with it, one that focusses starlight. Then i would buy.

      I like you.

        Loading editor
    • Well, if you looked, there would probably be a lot of fan fictions, right? I don't even know where to find such a thing...

        Loading editor
    • Verfaas Ah Dinok wrote: Well, if you looked, there would probably be a lot of fan fictions, right? I don't even know where to find such a thing...

      http://www.fanfiction.net/game/Elder-Scroll-series/

      You're welcome. :)

        Loading editor
    • Really? Thanks!

        Loading editor
    • This is an interesting story, and the writer is currently working on a sequel:

      http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8272365/1/Fire-and-Fangs

        Loading editor
    • Onikviingvahlok wrote:
      Yeah, one of my buddies said something about writing a book series that features the whole storyline. I told him he was nuts at the time, but I see now it might not be such a bad idea. Well, he'll have to do it himself. I'm too busy with my own books as it is.

      so he's writing a book on Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim?

        Loading editor
    • I wouldn't want a lore book.

      1. Bethesda deliberately tries to make TES lore as confusing as possible and places many different theories, views and evidence into the games to keep us discussing

      2. Writing a book about TES lore would canonize a specific theory. Even if they'd decide to include every single theory about some topic in that book, they'd still have to include tons of theories in one topic (let's say all theories about the disappearence of the Dwemer)

      3. A book like that might be even bigger than the Bible

        Loading editor
    • i wish there was a book about the dragonborns out come . instade of saying what race he is he or she is refered as the "hero" or dovhakiin

        Loading editor
    • It is called fanfiction I cannot believe it took like 100 posts before somebody posted the link to fanfiction.NET site I've been on since 2007 is plenty enough good fanfiction stories out there of skyrim just check out my profile Where I favourite it some of the best

      https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1450669/jdboss1 Skyrim: Origins of the Voice Aaron Ledgers https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10503762/1/Skyrim-Origins-of-the-Voice

      Seems to be pretty much a good introduction to the series but you we spoil as its easily one of the best

        Loading editor
    • http://fanfiction.wikia.com/wiki/User:Hawki

      https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1011556/Hawki

      ...what? If Jdboss gets to shameless plug I should get to as well. ^_^

        Loading editor
    • Pelinal Whitestrake wrote:
      I wouldn't want a lore book.

      1. Bethesda deliberately tries to make TES lore as confusing as possible and places many different theories, views and evidence into the games to keep us discussing

      2. Writing a book about TES lore would canonize a specific theory. Even if they'd decide to include every single theory about some topic in that book, they'd still have to include tons of theories in one topic (let's say all theories about the disappearence of the Dwemer)

      3. A book like that might be even bigger than the Bible

      1.  That's why George R.R Martin should write it.

      2.  See above.

      3.  See above.

        Loading editor
    • Draevan13 wrote: "Joffrey adopts a lion cub and learns the true meaning of Christmas."

      "Jaime Lannister forms Westertos' first heavy metal band, King Slayer."

      "The Lords and Ladies of Winterfell are saved by their long-lost cousin, Tony Stark."

      "Winter comes. It's not so bad. Cosy, even."

      "Arya discovers the ruins of the Statue of Liberty and learns she was on Earth the whole time."

      "Hodor."

      i want hodor.....the book...reminds me of blaster-master from mad max 3

        Loading editor
    • I want to know the lore of TES but i dont want to play morrowind or oblivion. I just want the book so i can read it even without a pc or a console.

        Loading editor
    • There is actually some guy on reddit who made a book out of all the books in oblivion. Looks pretty good.

      http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/koq07/so_i_printed_all_the_oblivion_ingame_books_into_a/

        Loading editor
    • Fanfiction, everyone. Fanfiction. That is all.

        Loading editor
    • Bethesda apparently are making lore book collections Escapist News - Tales of Tamriel with new pretty pictures.

        Loading editor
    • TES could use some comics though.

        Loading editor
    • AzuraKnight wrote:
      There are books Infernal City and Lord of Souls.


      These books can be considered fan fiction?

        Loading editor
    • Benardi wrote:
      AzuraKnight wrote:
      There are books Infernal City and Lord of Souls.

      These books can be considered fan fiction?

      I think they are canon

        Loading editor
    • WrathOfHircine wrote:
      Benardi wrote:
      AzuraKnight wrote:
      There are books Infernal City and Lord of Souls.

      These books can be considered fan fiction?
      I think they are canon

      they are cannon since the sleeping tree in skyrim (thats what others told me) is one of the trees in the city...that has fallen off

        Loading editor
    • 1 - The series is still going.

      2 - A lot of things aren't cannon. Depending on the decisions the player make the outcome in terms of lore can be enourmously different. Favoring one on the book simply would not be right.

        Loading editor
    • Hello, Maybe it's long ... and new response. maybe some of yours will see.. I'm writting now an book about Elder Scrolls. I decided to start from E2 when Molag Bal tried to conquest Tamriel, And there will be more much books. But i have a idea for some "special content" in the books, In Elder Scrolls Online, Cyrodiil it's an pvp zone i'm sure that who played the game know this thing, so i'm planing to write in the book some battles who took there between players on siege (The siege will be modified, more much numbers, more much action, etc.) I'm planing to do 10%-15% dialogue, 60% action ( Because there will be one who will defeat an Daedra, An he will have a long path to discover all his powers) And the 25%-30% about story ( explaining the traditions of an faction, why they want this, and this. Like Altmers how they want to controll every man race, and the wood elfs offer refuge to everyone ). I'm waiting some ideas:) And someone to tell me if Betsheda allow this.. I know talk Portugues, Spanish,Deutsch, Romanian, Magyar(just a little bit), Brazil, others few langues from Latin America. and English ( Few problems here...) .

        Loading editor
    • I'm writing a fan-fic at the moment about a snobby Altmer who is murdered and soul trapped, and than rescued by a daedric prince (not sure which one yet) at a price. He will then be forced to live in the body of a Nord, and will eventually learn that the Thalmor murdered him and blah blah blah still figuring it out.

        Loading editor
    • The two Novels, "The Infernal City" and "Lord of Souls", are most definitely canon and both worthy reads.

      As for there possibly being any more official books written in the future, this is not known as of yet.

        Loading editor
    • Ifnsman wrote: The two Novels, "The Infernal City" and "Lord of Souls", are most definitely canon and both worthy reads.

      As for there possibly being any more official books written in the future, this is not known as of yet.


      They can only be canon if officially said so by Bethesda.

        Loading editor
    • SeaTerror wrote:

      They can only be canon if officially said so by Bethesda.

      Bethesda helped write the books, author says so in the books' forward. They also proof-read them to ensure accuracy.

      Not to mention Bethesda specifically commisioned the books to tie-in Oblivion and Skyrim.

        Loading editor
    • Warhammer has a few hundreds. Commissioning a few books will really help flesh out the lore. I hope they will commission a few more after or during the release of Elder Scrolls 6.

        Loading editor
    • The only book I want is The Lusty Argonian Maid ;)

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.