FANDOM


  • In your opinion, what do you think the best type of weapon is for a warrior? Swords, axes, maces, greatswords, battleaxes, or warhammers? Daggers don't count since they are more for sneaky characters.

      Loading editor
    • swords the speed will help you for combat you wont die trying to attack them

        Loading editor
    • axes or battle axes.

        Loading editor
    • Swords are the fastest but maces do the most damage, but are slower. I think I would go for a one-handed axe since it does more damage then swords and are faster then maces. They are kind of in the middle.

        Loading editor
    • Swords have the highest DPS and that adds up to total damage so they are probably the most effective for One Handed. But if you're looking for true Power you'll have to pay speed. Warhammers, or if you want something a little faster War Axes. I don't believe there is a huge speed difference between them though. 

        Loading editor
    • Carving enemies up with a Battle Axe is fun.  Just do a sprint special attack then start hacking away. 

        Loading editor
    • I usually prefer one-handed over two-handed. The reason for this is because of its flaws. It doesn't block as good and it wastes a ton of stamina. I started a new character with two-handed a while ago and the enemies would usually kill me before I got the first swing. That's just me, though.

        Loading editor
    • Swords.The have all the advantages of One Handed.You can Swing one,two times,and then Shield.Bash,swing.Repeat.Awesome.

      It may be just me,but i find Battle Axes to be amazing.Imagine seeing a angry blade which is two times larger than you going horizontly into your neck?Not very nice.

        Loading editor
    • Sky Above,Voice Within wrote:
      Swords.The have all the advantages of One Handed.You can Swing one,two times,and then Shield.Bash,swing.Repeat.Awesome.

      It may be just me,but i find Battle Axes to be amazing.Imagine seeing a angry blade which is two times larger than you going horizontly into your neck?Not very nice.

      Yeah. Those kill scenes are deadly. 

        Loading editor
    • One handed axes are the best. Two words. BLEEDING, DAMAGE

        Loading editor
    • I have read that the right hand governs speed on dual weilding,Axe in right mace in left, not 100% sure  . No block just hack away. Just got the bleeding damage perk will see , the axe  looks so good on your side. The battleaxes are much slower but do plenty damage again they awfully large strapped to your back . Swords also rock swift speedy death nothing like Dawnbreaker lighting your way. I would say it just how you feeling that day.Laslo451 (talk) 13:37, August 12, 2013 (UTC)

        Loading editor
    • War axe and shield.

        Loading editor
    • @Laslo451: I haven't really noticed an increase in speed when using a lighter weapon in the right hand and heavier in the left.  However, power attacks with both weapons have a stamina cost based on the lighter weapon.  Tested with Miraak's sword in right hand and Dragon mace, sword, and axe in left hand.

        Loading editor
    • ArhenMaoDante ,See the " Dual Wielding" page my bad the speed is judged by what is in the left hand.Laslo451 (talk) 18:42, August 15, 2013 (UTC)

        Loading editor
    • The most one-handed dps per second you can get is quite easy. For your left hand (OH) off-hand use a dagger, and for your right hand (MH) use a mace. using this setup will allow you to attack at a dagger speed with a mace. This, using Dragonbone or deadric dagger and mace. you can get extremely high dps ratings.

        Loading editor
    • Personally I find dual wielding axes with the full Hack & Slash perk to be the best dps wise.  Especially when just tapping both triggers(xbox) at once(not holding for the power attack).

        Loading editor
    • ArhenMaoDante wrote:
      Personally I find dual wielding axes with the full Hack & Slash perk to be the best dps wise.  Especially when just tapping both triggers(xbox) at once(not holding for the power attack).


      I disagree greatly. If you have maces perk to 3/3 and swinging at a dagger speed you can get extreme hiigh amounts of dps, my mace does 342 with 2/3 perk and i can swin about once per second seconds making really high dps if i add with 120 damage dagger. Plus the fact maces can ignore armor, highest dps you can get.

        Loading editor
    • The bleed damage from H&S isn't effeceted by the reduced damage of higher difficulties(though it may just be a bug for my game).

      And I agree that using a dagger in the left hand with a mace in the right is good dps.  However, it's not as effective on higher difficulties.  For example, on Legendary & assuming you could ignore 100% armor instead of 75% with 3/3 or 50% with you 2/3, each swing with a dagger that has 120 atk would only do 30 damage.  A mace with 342 atk would only do 85.  Once again that's with the target having no armor rating, so including armor rating the dagger would do alot less and the mace would only ignore 75% max.

      Also, the crit damage from Bladesman & Critical Charge doesn't seem to be effected by higher difficulty, but the damage is applied after base damage so on lower dificulties you might not notice it due to the base being enough to kill the target.

        Loading editor
    • true

        Loading editor
    • Battleaxes. Have you SEEN the ebony and daedric ones?

        Loading editor
    • I always use great swords. Who needs dps when you can kill most of your enemies in one swing?

        Loading editor
    • 99.90.36.154 wrote:
      I always use great swords. Who needs dps when you can kill most of your enemies in one swing?

      By that logic,it would be most prudent to use Warhammers.

        Loading editor
    • I used to be a, mostly, sword and shield player myself. But with my current addition of Dawnguard and the Dawnguard War Axe, i've been having loads of fun with it. Gotta say i might pull out the Ebony Battleaxe I lucked across and start swinging so as to see some of these allegedly nasty kill cams.

        Loading editor
    • In terms of raw dps, swords are the most efficient (assuming armsman 5/5, one handed skill of 100, refined to legendary rating), followed by greatswords, war axes, battle axes, maces, and war hammers, the diffrence between them all is minute thought. But the specific perks invested and in the right situation, maces can become the best when facing armored enemies in terms of dps. But the bleeding effect of war axes is also good against armored enemies. So really it is about personal prefrence/roleplaying.

        Loading editor
    • tbh if you dont have the dawnguard add-on then daggers might actually be the best... the blade of woe has higher base damage then daedric daggers and almost as good as a sword, but it swings much faster. If you have the add-on or dont have the blade of woe then i'd say swords, they have the highest dps overall plus a shield for better def and faster movement so you can dodge easier

        Loading editor
    • I like warhammers, I love a high Damage Per Hit

        Loading editor
    • After seeing all the comments, I can conclude by dual-wielding dagger and mace is the best ( no block thought but I used to like sword and dagger ) whereas one-swing kill warhammer but with block.

        Loading editor
    • No one's mentioned bow, but I can't say I recommend it either.

      Submitting for your consideration unarmed attack using the bonus damage from heavy armor perk Fists of Steel and the Gloves of the Pugilist enchantment from the gloves used by "Gian the fist" in Riften Ratway, obviously broken and put on something for a higher level bonus. 

      Iron gauntlet had 11 armor and thus 11 damage with the Fists of Steel perk, while Iron Mace does 9, Iron Axe 8, Iron Sword 7, Iron Dagger 1.  Dragonbone Gauntlet 17 and Dragonbone Mace 17, Axe 16, Sword 15, Dagger 12.  Enchantment adds ten damage, and can be applied to a ring for a total of 31 damage per fist, not counting dual enchantments for elemental damage. 

      With full ranks in Armsman gives +80% bonus damage so 9 become 16.2, 17 becomes 30.6, so maces can do about the same raw damage before enchantments.  However, they shouldn't be able to match speed, and with the ring as well as the guantlet, the "unarmed attack" can be enchanted with elemental damage twice.  Meanwhile 31 is the damage for properly enchanted Iron Gauntlets and Dragonborn Gauntlets provide 37 damage per fist before smithing improvements.

      Sp perhaps the best weapon is no weapon?

        Loading editor
    • Bow.

        Loading editor
    • Give MEH AN AXE AND A SHIELD... FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOOOOM! FOR THE EMPRAH!

        Loading editor
    • FIST! (if you are Khaijit)

        Loading editor
    • Jett Cyber wrote:
      FIST! (if you are Khaijit)

      Awwww yeeaahh!

        Loading editor
    • Bows....by far

      Crossbows are also fun but still prefer the feeling of robin hood in my thief

        Loading editor
    • For Warrior : one handed Sword ,mace , war axe, shield

      For Barbarian : All two handed weapon

      For Archer : Do i even need to answer this shit....?

      For Stealthy ones : Daggers definitely......

        Loading editor
    • I tend to use bows far more than any other weapon, but of course, other than the crossbow that's the only ranged weapon. For one handeds, I tend to use the mace. This is because I prefer dual wielding to holding a shield. Some of you guys might know that the attacking speed of your right hand, when dual wielding, is dependent on the weapon you hold on your left. So what I tend to do is hold a dagger on my left hand and a mace on my right, absolutely maximizing the amount of damage one-handed weapons can do.

      I'm not used to two handed weapons, so I really don't know what to say about that one.

        Loading editor
    • A Blades sword. Nothing more bad ass than chopping someones head off with a katana, then sheathing your blade and walking away like nothing happened.

        Loading editor
    • Actually the sword, because of only a few things:

      1.Fastest weapon that is affected by fortify 1 handed enchantment (daggers have no bonus, which is sad). 

      2.After smithing, the 1 base damage difference with an axe and 2 damage difference with a mace is negligible (even with armsman x5 and lvl 100 one handed, its just 3 for axe and 6 for mace, which is not much if you use stuff with like 100++ damage, or 300++ damage stuff if you have the max enchanting fortify 1 handed on 4 items and are a crazy smith) .

      4.If you have bladesman, can proc crits (x2 damage). With lvl 3, 2 unenchanted swords (daedric or dragonbone) of good quality and 3 word elemental fury, this can mean many crits in a short time.

      4. Yes, bleed for axe stacks, but negligible if you count only the first few strikes (The whole point is that it stacks, which means hitting many times for high damage). Also, bleed is negligible if you have high fortify one handed and smithing, which means killing everyting within one (dual wielding) power attack, making bleed redundant.

      Considering you can dual wield one hand weapons, you can out DPS a two handed weapon easily. However, if going for 2 hand, stick with the warhammer, because 2 hand weapons are so damn slow that burst damage is whats important. No point using a battleaxe cause stacking bleed is ridiculously slow and no point for a greatsword as you will not proc crits that often. With no enchantment, you can use elemental fury for the warhammer to increase its DPS

        Loading editor
    • dual weapons elemental fury shout pwns

        Loading editor
    • Crossbow.

        Loading editor
    • 218.186.252.71 wrote:
      Actually the sword, because of only a few things:

      1.Fastest weapon that is affected by fortify 1 handed enchantment (daggers have no bonus, which is sad). 

      2.After smithing, the 1 base damage difference with an axe and 2 damage difference with a mace is negligible (even with armsman x5 and lvl 100 one handed, its just 3 for axe and 6 for mace, which is not much if you use stuff with like 100++ damage, or 300++ damage stuff if you have the max enchanting fortify 1 handed on 4 items and are a crazy smith) .

      4.If you have bladesman, can proc crits (x2 damage). With lvl 3, 2 unenchanted swords (daedric or dragonbone) of good quality and 3 word elemental fury, this can mean many crits in a short time.

      4. Yes, bleed for axe stacks, but negligible if you count only the first few strikes (The whole point is that it stacks, which means hitting many times for high damage). Also, bleed is negligible if you have high fortify one handed and smithing, which means killing everyting within one (dual wielding) power attack, making bleed redundant.

      Considering you can dual wield one hand weapons, you can out DPS a two handed weapon easily. However, if going for 2 hand, stick with the warhammer, because 2 hand weapons are so damn slow that burst damage is whats important. No point using a battleaxe cause stacking bleed is ridiculously slow and no point for a greatsword as you will not proc crits that often. With no enchantment, you can use elemental fury for the warhammer to increase its DPS

      You forget a very major thing ARMOR for both your self and enemies. You really shouldnt be stacking up things like weapon damage bonuses when you shold be putting on magic resist otherwise you will die before you can even get off your first swing. You are also forgetting that that little extra damage beats DPS when fighting armored foes; combined with the armor ignore on maces they are anti armor BEASTS! Aes are a nice middle ground and are also good against tacks, because of bleed. Elemental fury is useless requiring an unenchanted weapon taking away all the delicious soul trap and extra damage enchants. You seem to be focused on MAX DPS which while a legit strategy is USELESS against the mage raining hell from the tower on the other side of the dungeon.

      To ech his own. I hate these best weapon/armor/race threads because in the end only PLAYSTYLE matters.

        Loading editor
    • For me One handed Swords (good variety of them) and allows for spellcasting / shields while wielding them. Two handed I like the Greataxe's, most of them look cool and are balanced between speed/damage.  

        Loading editor
    • 1- Longsword

      2- Greatsword

      3- Warhammer


      I never use axes.

        Loading editor
    • At the end of the day, all that matters is how much blood have you collected on your blade/hammer before it all dries off?  Have you sent enough foolish bandits to Sovngarde yet?

        Loading editor
    • Slothcat wrote:
      At the end of the day, all that matters is how much blood have you collected on your blade/hammer before it all dries off?  Have you sent enough foolish bandits to Sovngarde yet?

      Bandits don't go to Sovngarde because they are trash.

        Loading editor
    • I find that once your skill in a weapon type reaches 90 or so and Smithing peaks at 100, I think that the extra power of those slower, heavier weapons is simply unneeded. Because I started with One-handed, I use a Sword (Dragonbone enchanted with Chaos+Fire Damages) with 530 damage, and it kills almost anybody in a single hit. Because my Two-handed is only around 50, and I like the speed of a Sword, I use a Battleaxe for Two-handed. It does around 330 damage and has a Chaos + Paralyze enchantment. For you, whichever you started off with should be more focused on speed, while the other suit should be damage all the way. It would be a Sword/Dagger/Greatsword for your first set, and a Mace/Warhammer for the other.

      Using only one? One-handed because you either have really good block with the usage of a shield, or blocking can be sacrificed for a spell. Being able to Soul Trap a Bandit, fill the Black Star, and recharge the Sword of Annihalation instantly never gets old. You never even need to change weapons, and enchant your fave sword with something more useful, like Absorb or Paralyze! For reasons said before, use a sword on that build.

        Loading editor
    • Wiv mah glass warhamma I'ma won heet wunda!! 

      Seriously, I've tried most of the weapons in Skyrim but the warhammer seems to work best. I improve it, and then put a fire enchantment on it.

        Loading editor
    • SonjavonRuuden wrote:
      Wiv mah glass warhamma I'ma won heet wunda!! 

      Seriously, I've tried most of the weapons in Skyrim but the warhammer seems to work best. I improve it, and then put a fire enchantment on it.

      I will sometimes start with a warhammer but it will always evolve into use of a greatsword or longsword.

        Loading editor
    • CowsBeGood wrote:
      218.186.252.71 wrote:
      Actually the sword, because of only a few things:

      1.Fastest weapon that is affected by fortify 1 handed enchantment (daggers have no bonus, which is sad). 

      2.After smithing, the 1 base damage difference with an axe and 2 damage difference with a mace is negligible (even with armsman x5 and lvl 100 one handed, its just 3 for axe and 6 for mace, which is not much if you use stuff with like 100++ damage, or 300++ damage stuff if you have the max enchanting fortify 1 handed on 4 items and are a crazy smith) .

      4.If you have bladesman, can proc crits (x2 damage). With lvl 3, 2 unenchanted swords (daedric or dragonbone) of good quality and 3 word elemental fury, this can mean many crits in a short time.

      4. Yes, bleed for axe stacks, but negligible if you count only the first few strikes (The whole point is that it stacks, which means hitting many times for high damage). Also, bleed is negligible if you have high fortify one handed and smithing, which means killing everyting within one (dual wielding) power attack, making bleed redundant.

      Considering you can dual wield one hand weapons, you can out DPS a two handed weapon easily. However, if going for 2 hand, stick with the warhammer, because 2 hand weapons are so damn slow that burst damage is whats important. No point using a battleaxe cause stacking bleed is ridiculously slow and no point for a greatsword as you will not proc crits that often. With no enchantment, you can use elemental fury for the warhammer to increase its DPS

      You forget a very major thing ARMOR for both your self and enemies. You really shouldnt be stacking up things like weapon damage bonuses when you shold be putting on magic resist otherwise you will die before you can even get off your first swing. You are also forgetting that that little extra damage beats DPS when fighting armored foes; combined with the armor ignore on maces they are anti armor BEASTS! Aes are a nice middle ground and are also good against tacks, because of bleed. Elemental fury is useless requiring an unenchanted weapon taking away all the delicious soul trap and extra damage enchants. You seem to be focused on MAX DPS which while a legit strategy is USELESS against the mage raining hell from the tower on the other side of the dungeon.

      To ech his own. I hate these best weapon/armor/race threads because in the end only PLAYSTYLE matters.

      I really do not know what race you play or your level in one handed, two handed, enchanting or smithing, but I use a breton with 30% spell absorb and 85% magic resist, so magic resist on armor is plain stupid, so the mage on the other side of the dungeon is useless (incidentally, just spam some chain lightning behind him/her and you have a dead, useless mage. With good enchanting, 700++ damage per sword is good enough to screw what ever armor the enemy has (seriously, do you even mark for death before?). Also, soul trap is COMPLETELY useless (even the firey one) except for killing mammoths (which have no armor). Using the above calculation, that is 700 per slash and 1400 per crit. Elemental fury = doubled DPS, which is incidentally better than even a 3 effect proc from chaos (if u have dragonborn) + fire, frost or shock (which is about 500 damage for a 12.5% chance with realllllly good enchanting, without including good old magic resist, which even CLOTHED breton enemies have). With about 1400-2800 damage per attack, dosen't 18 extra damage seem little, even if it goes through armor? I am inclined to think war axes are only really good when your enchanting sucks and you can't craft epic stuff (like the mid levels). Also, armor easily hits 567++ with the appropriate perks (you mean you don't use armor perks?), so whats the problem with armor or magic resist? Seriously, there is no enemy with higher than 250 armor (and less for most) because they cannot smith or put perks into armor skills. So the armor ignore on maces is quite wasted actually at extreme damage values  (350 damage per strike still kills everyting at godlike speed, without the need for bleeding). Also, at these damage values, attack speed trumps raw damage. Daggers are the exception as they gain no benefit from fortify one handed, making them very useless once such enchantments apply, even with high smeak (141x15 is definitely less than 700X6). Finally, at least the gloves can be enchanted, because your "important" magic resist cannot go onto gloves. Face it, war axes are completely outclassed by maces, as their bleed does not scale and is just 18 bonus per strike (as it stacks, or it will be TOTALLY useless, even in midgame. The only benefit is if each damage over time application refreshes the previous application, which it obviously does not). Whether it the mace or the sword, both are a large improvement over war axes, which lose effectiveness at high damage. Same goes for 2 handed, with the battleaxe outclassed by both greatsword and warhammers.

      By the way, I am the same guy who wrote the original post. My preference in weapons is sword, mace, warhammer, greatsword. Axes and battleaxes suck, unless you are just using them to look cool or pose for the camera (The daedric stuff look nice). If you want DPS, swords. Hate armor? the mace. Also, never use soul trap as an enchantment unless its the firey one

        Loading editor
    • You don't understand AWC. Magic resistance only protects against magical attacks, such as getting hit by a Firebolt, whil armor protects from everything from weapons, such as taking a Warhammer to the face. They don't stack, and don't help each other. For instance, if you have 300 health and are battlign an Ancient DRagon, 85% magical resistance will save you from the breath attack, but 580 armor rating will save you from the bites.

        Loading editor
    • Warhammers because:

      Best weapon to capture souls because power attacks tend to kill the enemies in a flash.

      Wailing on a dude is boring.

      Tanking with a warhammer is 'bawz'

      I can yell "Stop! Hammer time!" Before every kill.

      1 hit killz without skillz.

      They're just plain awesome IMO.

        Loading editor
    • Magic does beat all wepons

        Loading editor
    • However, the topic is about which WEAPON is best, not MAGIC.

      Purely random, but I find more people use the Warrior over Mage or Thief. DO you think that is true?

        Loading editor
    • MignightHawk wrote:
      However, the topic is about which WEAPON is best, not MAGIC.

      Purely random, but I find more people use the Warrior over Mage or Thief. DO you think that is true?

      Oui.

        Loading editor
    • MignightHawk wrote:
      However, the topic is about which WEAPON is best, not MAGIC.

      Purely random, but I find more people use the Warrior over Mage or Thief. DO you think that is true?


      A Warrior class is a direct approach to the tasks you get in the game so that's why it might be used the most, while being a Mage takes more effort since you can't really count on heavy armor to save yourself (unless you enchant heavy armor with magic skills of course).  As for the Thief skills it takes more bits of patience with all the sneaking unlike a Warrior.  So basically Warriors are for those who don't want to waste time and just hack everything apart to solve problems.  Then again when playing as a mage you could say you solve problems like a warrior when you summon Daedra lords :P

        Loading editor
    • Hmm... However, Warrior is the most brutal and death-prone because warriors may sprint into a room without any knowlwdge of what lies within. Mages would cast Detect spells and Thieves would probably avoid conflict altogether.

        Loading editor
    • i meant the bound weapon

        Loading editor
    • MignightHawk wrote:
      You don't understand AWC. Magic resistance only protects against magical attacks, such as getting hit by a Firebolt, whil armor protects from everything from weapons, such as taking a Warhammer to the face. They don't stack, and don't help each other. For instance, if you have 300 health and are battlign an Ancient DRagon, 85% magical resistance will save you from the breath attack, but 580 armor rating will save you from the bites.

      I do completely understand, having completed the game multiple times. I just forgot to say my character has like 820 armor rating for his daedric armor because we were dealing with magic attacks on my post. 

      To be more exact:

      30% magic absorb

      85% magic resist

      80% damage resist

      Make more sense now?

        Loading editor
    • i rather use magic resistance stacks with elemental resitance wich is capped at 75% but magic will make the rest but absorb can reduce all dmg 

        Loading editor
    • I love using the Shield of Ysgramor, especially when fighting something like a dragon.  It's like they spew all their fire or ice on you and with your shield up it's pretty much like "oh was that actually supposed to hurt me?"  then you bash them in the face with it!  I have an aquired taste for heavy shield bashing to destroy my enemies.  Given I have the stamina for it.

        Loading editor
    • 24.44.141.89 wrote:
      In your opinion, what do you think the best type of weapon is for a warrior? Swords, axes, maces, greatswords, battleaxes, or warhammers? Daggers don't count since they are more for sneaky characters.


      depends.do you have high one handed or two handed?

        Loading editor
    • 49.144.104.7 wrote:
      24.44.141.89 wrote:
      In your opinion, what do you think the best type of weapon is for a warrior? Swords, axes, maces, greatswords, battleaxes, or warhammers? Daggers don't count since they are more for sneaky characters.

      depends.do you have high one handed or two handed?

      battleaxes or war axes are the best for me

        Loading editor
    • @ contributor FOOL who be replying to me

      Why do you consider soul trap to be a bad enhantment? Soul trap is very viable due to not all of us being battlemages or very rich, wasteful people. I have found soul trap to be great at keeping the costs low for enchanting especially combined with geodes. Alhough it is pointless when used with any character with a little magika invested in it

        Loading editor
    • However, unlike the Spell, it wastes some carry weight, and fi you are a Heaby-armored battlemage with 200 weight in gear, a seperate sword or dagger for the enchantment is illogical.

        Loading editor
    • MignightHawk wrote:
      However, unlike the Spell, it wastes some carry weight, and fi you are a Heaby-armored battlemage with 200 weight in gear, a seperate sword or dagger for the enchantment is illogical.

      True, but every charachter that isn't very magic oriented will have some points invested in stamina no matter what(Thief, Warrior, Archer) mainly due to needing to carry stolen items, power attack, zoom in/run.

        Loading editor
    • CowsBeGood wrote:

      True, but every charachter that isn't very magic oriented will have some points invested in stamina no matter what(Thief, Warrior, Archer) mainly due to needing to carry stolen items, power attack, zoom in/run.

      Need I remind that as the game goes on, you will have heavier armor for all of those classes, and weapons will scale up too? In addition, what about healing and Stamina potions? Eventually, all other gear will become too important to carry around two swords for, especially if one is weaker and less used.

        Loading editor
    • I shall explain the rationale of not using soul trap as a enchantment (a bit off topic)

      It takes up one enchantment slot, so you cannot add a better enchantment (or if you have dual enchanting, you waste one slot). Also, some enchantments, like flame damage and more infamously chaos damage can boost the power of the other enchantment. It is wasted if this power boost is wasted on soul trap. Even fiery soul trap is wasteful of a slot, as the fire damage is constant.

      The spell is only 60 something magicka with some proficiency in conjuration, which everybody should have (as it is easy to grind and you have to grind it for level 81 in the base game) (its base cost is 100). You will not be soul trapping every second, so there is enough even if you do not spec into magicka AT ALL. A good soul trapping weapon only lasts up to 15 secs, the spell lasts to 60 secs.

      Placing soul trap on your regular combat weapon will make it trap the souls of everything. This is a waste of charge and you will fill a lot of grand soul gems with poorer grade souls, which is not ideal

      As MignightHawk says, the armor will weigh more and so will the weapons. Even if your armor weighs nothing (with perks), Your sword is still 16-18 weight and more swords, axes or maces = more wasted weight, more visits to the shop and less looting in dungeons. Assuming the soul trap is placed on a weapon like an iron dagger, it might be light, but you will not use it anyway for most times and it is utterly useless in combat, so it is still a weight problem. It will also let you carry 5 less potions and poisons, not desirable for a alchemist or warrior who sucks at restoration

      Also, I noticed that the supply of FILLED GRAND SOUL GEMS from loot is very high at high levels. You find them on centurions all the time (which respawn) and stuff. You will probably only want to enchant 12 pieces of apparel (your combat gear and your crafting gear) and maybe a sword, mace, warhammer etc. It is not intelligent (just plain boastful) to enchant 100 daedric swords with enchantments just for the sake of it. The whole game requires like maybe 14-16 grand and black soul gems (for maximum weapon life and best enchantments), which are not as uncommon as you think ( I find them everywhere). There are gear sold by vendors and dropped from loot that can have all the extra effects, like fortify lockpicking etc, so there is no need to craft them. Carrying this equipment reduces the amount you can carry as well...

      Anyway, to end off, I do not understand why anyone would be so fustrated at the opinions of others. 

      Yes, I am the one who critiques soul trap viaility as an enchantment as compared to better things like life leech, paralyse or elemental damage. But I did not resort to any personal attacks, even though I know many insults. I can understand that if you are a teenager playing the game and you like soul trap, you would rage against ayone who criticized your taste in enchantments (due to your hormonal imbalances and stress). However, please note that this is a forum for everyone to contibute to, not a flame war or a troll page. While you might be a huge fan of soul trap ( or have a preference to it as compared to a simple stave or spell), it does not give you the right to perform personal attacks on others, just like I did not personally attack you on the page for your vitriolic comments, even though I can, like everybody who has internet)

        Loading editor
    • You bring up many very good points, such as the Iron Dagger. You can say however much you want about how awesome your idea is, and reality, that idea can be flawed as hell. All that matters really is that it works the best for you. 

      I think these forums are usually best off not made because they cause too much argument over things like what's the best enchantment for the weapon.

        Loading editor
    • MignightHawk wrote:
      You bring up many very good points, such as the Iron Dagger. You can say however much you want about how awesome your idea is, and reality, that idea can be flawed as hell. All that matters really is that it works the best for you. 

      I think these forums are usually best off not made because they cause too much argument over things like what's the best enchantment for the weapon.

      Yes, I agree. Many people cannot keep a civil mind when discussing the points, because they realise they either have been doing things wrong (not saying I am right) or they are too passionate about their "awesome weapons" to consider other's views. Mostly the latter.

        Loading editor
    • dawnbreaker beats all the weapons

        Loading editor
    • Pureslayer12 wrote:
      dawnbreaker beats all the weapons

      This is about the types of weapons (Battleaxes, swords, bows, etc.) not a specific weapon and Dawnbreaker is pretty useless at high levels.

        Loading editor
    • I always liked the daedric dagger/shadow warrior perk/ shrouded gloves combo. Seems pretty effective to me, with its 30x crits...

        Loading editor
    • That is true. Assuming it is improved, it could deal about 25-30 damage with each hit, and while that may not sound like much, that is before One-handed perks and Fortify One-handed enchantments (despite the fact they do not work on daggers). Multiply 30 by 30, and that's 900 damage right there, enough to kill a Dragon.

        Loading editor
    • I see a discussion about the soul trap enchantment being useless, well have you ever heard of the fiery souls enchantment? it always stays at 15 fire damage even if you give your weapon a 1 second soul trap effect and combined with the extra effect perk one could technically have 3 enchantments on one weapon, also both chillrend and dawnbreaker are one-handed swords both of which have no counterpart in the two-handed categories leading most people to thinking that one-handed swords are best because the "best weapons" are in that category, but the truth is that the best weapon type for you is your favorite.

        Loading editor
    • 99.90.36.154 wrote:
      I always use great swords. Who needs dps when you can kill most of your enemies in one swing?

      " Why 7 small cuts when you can kill you can cut your enemy in half?"-Farkas

      (Quote might been paraphrased.) 

        Loading editor
    • And just to clarify on weapons here, Personally I enjoyed playing 2 full games just using my barehands as a kahjiit and as a nord. Nothing like punching a dragon to death in two or three hits and barely registering any of you own health going down. Took on 2 legendary dragons at once and beat them both down in 3 hits while my health was maybe 1/4 down. So ya, gonna have to say the bare knuckles much more fun than any of the weapons in the game.

        Loading editor
    • Does anyone know if warhammers have a higher chance of breaking a block than battleaxes? I'm disputing whether or not to role with warhammers.

        Loading editor
    • dagger in the left and mace in the right 

      speed of the dagger and the AR of the mace makes it a very viable choice, 2 handed weapons won't come close to the AR of one handed weaps being dual weilded 

        Loading editor
    • Ignoring all perks and assuming the weapons are both improved and enchanted, the faster you can hit, the better the weapon is. This is because the extra damage is a flat amount, causing your damage per-second to go much higher on a faster weapon.

      Taking perks into account, War Axes become the the best option due to being the second (third if counting Daggers) fastest weapon and also having access to the extra effect of stacking bleeding damage with every hit. This damage goes through armor, but is also applied equally to unarmored opponents.

        Loading editor
    • 74.96.236.238 wrote:
      Does anyone know if warhammers have a higher chance of breaking a block than battleaxes? I'm disputing whether or not to role with warhammers.

      Do it, i love killing enemies in 2-3 hits

        Loading editor
    • I like great swords bevcause I can bash instead of using a sheild i don't like dual wield and its just plain fun slicing peoples head off

        Loading editor
    • Well that depends if you are willing to sacrifice speed for damage than a war hammer would be the best for base damage, on the other hand with the very slow swing speed it means that you won't be able to attack as often so that is less damage per second while you are getting attacked. Next would be regular one handed swords because they have the highest attack speed (not including daggers) which means more damage per second but also less damage per swing. One handed maces also have a high damage and with the right perks they ignore a certain amount of amour doing more damage than swords and axes, but using axes with the hack and slash perk allows for a stackable bleed effect which from experience ignores all amour (even on the legendary difficulty) doing a lot of damage while not sacrificing to much speed. Now if you are okay with utilizing a glitch than one handed swords are the best to use because of a special sword Windshear which is found on the Katariah (SPOILER) the ship that the Emperor is on During the quest Hail Sithis. Windshear may sometimes only spawn after you leave the ship and return later, Windshear has a stagger enchantment that glitched instead of randomly staggering your opponents it staggers them every successful attack making it the most overpowered sword that can be looted.

        Loading editor
    • Swords, because there are many unique swords, they are the lightest weapon that benefit from fortify one handed, they are the fastest (damage upgrades are linear, so increasing a sword by the same level as an axe makes the sword do a chunk more DPS, the gulf widening the more the sword is upgraded, enchants are the same, because whether you put it on a sword or warhammer, the enchant adds the same damage, so atk speed wins flat) and finally they don't block up that much screen (as they are thinner than other weapons).

      Of course, that is from a purely gameplay perspective. Axes are the worst because bleeding becomes negligible when you talk about 1000 plus damage per hit, plus the 1000 damage of the sword is not too far from the 1200 damage of the warhammer, considering the sword attacks nearly 60% faster. Maces are second best because they can pierce armor, but since nearly 300 damage comes from the enchant, that's not too useful.

      If you like to RP, though, any weapon can be the best type. You must have an affinity with the weapon to use it efficiently after all.

        Loading editor
    • With the right perks dual wield a war axe and mace so you both ignore armor and cause extra bleeding damage

        Loading editor
    • That's what I do

        Loading editor
    • All weapons have their merits but I have my own strategy that I really like. As far as combat points go, I like to even them out between light armor, two-handed, one-handed and archery. I carry a crossbow, greatsword and war axe. While a bit odd at first glance, I find the added versatility from so many weapons outweighs the additional power given by total specialization in a single tree. First, I start a battle with a few well placed crossbow bolts doused in my favorite slow/damage poison. This poison is amazing for what I do, slowing enemies down mitigates speed reduction from my greatsword and lets me get more crossbow shots off. I then proceed to pick off weaker enemies with the war axe. Due to bleeding damage in addition to whatever bolts they may have taken, this takes a very short amount of time and lets me deal with the tougher enemies without getting overwhelmed. At this point, I retreat a bit and shoot another crossbow bolt or two and the remaining more powerful targets before going in to finish the battle with a few powerful strokes from the greatsword (which I prefer over the battleaxes and war hammers because I just can't deal with that abysmal speed). If you go with this idea, you will have to get used to instantly switching style and weapon mid-battle but once you do, this strategy has huge pay off in the end. Other odds and ends that may help are lingering damage poisons on the war axe (to amplify that bleeding effect), the shout that increases swing speed (elemental fury?), fortify skill potions (puts your weapons on par with those totally specialized) and explosive bolts of frost (speed reduction ftw).

        Loading editor
    • I personally like the following combination:

      1) Against a dragon (or several casters) - Shield + Mace style.  (Reason: 'Elemental Protection' perk in the Block skill nullifys 50% of Fire/Frost/Electric damage by itself. Couple this with bash and perks in the Mace tree (which ignores up to 75% of the opponent's armor). It's awesome. Squishy casters get knocked down quite quickly.

      2) Greatsword (2hdr) - Sweep perk. This rocks !  ... This is for crowd control. You can also use the sword for blocking. Put some points into the Block skill - esp Quick Reflexes and you can interrupt / counter most opponents.

      3) My personal favorite - 2 Maces ! ... Can you say - escrima sticks ? ... Basically, couple this with Enchanting (dual perk) .. put an Absorb Stamina + Soul Trap on one, Frost + Fire damage on the other and just go to town.  

        Loading editor
    • I like warhammer over greatsword, mo damage, mo problems...

        Loading editor
    • Early Game, I can see the usefulness of Soul trap as an enchant because you don't get that many large souls anyways, which nullifies the problem of big-soul-gems-with-small-souls simply because large soul gems are hard to get. Late Game I usually end up putting Soul Trap on bows because I can then pick out some mammoths for my grand soul gems, as opposed to having to mow through a bunch of mudcrabs and being out of soul gems when I GET to said mammoths. That Being said, Soul Stealer on a bound bow is pretty much the same thing as what I just frickin' said, AND deals with both the weight problem AND ammo. Yes, I am aware that this thread is about weapons, but who doesn't count the bound (weapon) as a weapon? Seriously. Anyways,  so that's soul trapping dealt with. My personal play style is something that goes all over the place. but I usually end up dual weilding non enchanted blades and Su Grah Dun, with using bound bows for mages/hard to reach people. Light armor because I need agility and stamina for my rather offense heavy playstyle (Some my favor more defense. That is their choice. To me, if all lie dead before you, what is left to fear?) in addition, when leveling the Light armor tree, it just becomes so much stronger than heavy armor normally does (But thats perks vs no perks and that's kinda biased), so yeah. 


      Regular armor enchant I usually go for

      shit ton of waterbreathing rings to level enchanting, also to make the silver rings I had to buy ores for to level smithing worth more to level speech as well as get my money back


      onto the actual armor I actually USE

      head: Fortify Magicka

      neck: fortify one handed

      finger: fortify one handed

      hands: fortify carry

      feet: fortify carry

      chest: resist magic


      For me, I personally loved carry weight fortifies over other enchantments. Haven't yet got to where I can put two enchants on one thing, or else this is what it would look like

      head: Fortify Magicka/Fortify archery

      neck: Fortify one handed/Fortify carry weight

      finger: Fortify one haded/fortify carry weight

      hands fortify carry weight/fortify one handed

      feet fortify carry weight/fortify one handed

      chest resist magic resist frost (Gods, I hate those damn ice storms)

      Also, I never understood why someone will make a fifteen second long soul trap duration on a weapon. When it comes to soul trap on weapons, you only need one second, as it is reapplied every time you hit. You hit, soul trap is applied/reapplied, they die Always in that order. Why go fifteen seconds when you can go with one, get the same effect as fifteen, but a shit ton more charges? At level one enchant (well, level 15, but you get my point), no perks, I usually end up with either "If target dies within 8 secs, fills a soul gem" and about 7 charges, but I can get 101 1 second charges. To me, which one to go with seems clear. I run out of soul gems before I run out of charge. If you are going to go with a soul trap weapon though, I reccomend the Mace of Malog Bal (spelling?), as it beats down their health with base damage, beats down their magicka, and beats down their stamina, AND it soul traps them. couple that with a shield with resist magic or resist magic/resist frost (I usually play Dunmer AKA Dark Elf, so Fire never was a problem) and I say you're pretty well rounded. Though if I use a weapon/shield combo, I go with heavy armor for the added armor rating, seeing as I'm playing both offense and defense.


      As far as two handed weapons go, I find I hardly use them. Yes, Farkas makes a good point of who needs seven little cuts when I can make one big one to chop you in half. Good arguement. Arrange those seven little cuts in with enough speed and precision, though, and by the time they are about to make the one swing to chop me in half, my dual blades have already spilled their intestines, which makes swinging a greatsword, battleaxe or warhammer rather difficult when you just slipped on your spleen (okay, got rather morbid there). The only time I have an extreme reliance on a two handed weapon regularly is Wuuthrad in the Thalmor Embassy (I usually finish the Companions Questline before ding Diplomatic Immunity for strictly this reason) because especially deadly SEEMS to ignore armor, and does a crap ton of damage even when blocked. and the majority of Thalmor are either  Destruction/Summoner mages that summon atronochs and rain down fireballs with said atronochs or a battlemage backing away burning me (idiot using fire on a dunmer. Great AI) with a bound sword at the ready. You need to dish out a lot of damage fairly quickly, and esp. deadly to elves seems to trump anything else so far with these assholes. Because I need speed when using a clunky two handed weapon, light armor again. That wind walker perk and power attacks...


      But yes, this all comes down to basic playstyle.  for me, it's not best offense is a good defense (You are fucking WRONG, whiterun guard) it's the best defense is a better offense than your enemies, making shredded terracotta cheese out of them. but if you want defensive value, I find you can't go wrong with Mace of Malog Bal, heavy armor and shield. 


      Shouts are likewise also useful, and to me, count as an effective weapon when used right. 

      dual weilding berserker playstyle (the one I prefer) in order of importance, to me.

      Su Grah Dun (Spam the hell out of it)

      Rii Vaaz Zol (can't even describe practical application. Heavy damage, fills soul gem if they die from it, and almost certain ressurection to fight for you for sixty seconds. However, it is too easy for me to miss, so use wisely, man.)

      Tiid Klo Ul (Another one to spam. Ever outmanuevered a sabertooth mid pounce? Quite satisfying to be in front of it's teeth and then to shove a blade up it's butt)

      Yol Toor Shul (Best when dealing with mages whom you can't catch up with)

      Fus Ro Dah (Sparingly. and for me, only Fus Ro, more often than not, as adding Dah just means you need to chase them down, wasting precious stamina. Though handy to knock an archer off a tall, overhead bridge like I deal with in EVERY SINGLE CRYPT but I digress)

      Strun Ba Qo (Only outdoors, and I personally only use this when my blades are enchanted, thus rendering inert Su Grah Dun. Personally I do this if I feel like adding an aesthetic layer of Epic to the battle. While not quite Skies Afire (both Alduin's shout and a Tainted Coil guitar solo), it is VERY impressive.)

      Joor Zah Frul (being dragon specific is what knocks it down on the list, due to lack of versatility. However, by the time the dragon lands, nine out of ten times, my Shout meter is recharged, and then... well... Su Grah Dun. Sorry about your face, man.)


      Heavy Mace/Shield style.

      Mul Qah Diiv (Makes you all around tougher to destroy)

      Wuld Na Khest (Helps to close in the distances faster, but tough to steer properly)

      Fus Ro Dah (Not as sparingly. Take those damn mages down.)

      Feim Zii Grov ( In a tight spot? Pop this and a few healing spells. You're good.)

      Strun Ba Qo (Same logic as before)

      Foh Krah Diin (hurts them, slows them, even staggers them. Also, using it in a narrow corridor filled with a bunch of baddies helps on all their stamina. Well, I suppose HELPS is the wrong word...)


      Okay, I went way off topic, but when discussing weapons, to me, you also need to discuss something about playstyles, and what shouts best accompany said weapons in playstyle. So yeah. That's my post, as well as my playstyles. IDK if they make sense to you guys, but honestly, since they work for me, I don't even care if you can fully get it, as it's my playstyle, and the only justification I need show for it is the halls filled with the corpses of the slain.


      EDIT: Note on the waterbreathing rings bit. If you didn't already now/figure it out, the size of the soul gem doesn't make the enchanted item any stronger here, as being able to breathe water isn't something you can "Fortify" or whatever. Only use Petty and sometimes Lesser soul gems on this. The Enchanting skill will level a little slower, and the ring won't be worth QUITE as much, but in the long run, will help to save cash, which everyone loves. Also it will free up some inventory space by getting rid of all those GODS DAMNED WORTHLESS GEMS WITH A BUNCH OF TINY SOULS TOO SMALL TO ADEQUATELY RECHARGE WEAPONS AND TOO NUMEROUS TO IGNORE THE WEIGHT PROBLEM

        Loading editor
    • Theseus, you're something else.

      OK, soul trap becomes completely worthless when one of three things happens:

      • You get Soul Trap or FST as an enchantment
      • You use bound weapons with the soul perk
      • You get the Soul Tear shout (aka Rii Vaas Zol)

      Once you get Soul Tear, you will use that shout a LOT, because it's really useful. Massive damage, and always fills a soul gem if it kills? Yes please! Way better than wasting an enchant slot on Soul Trap. Bleh.

      I think that the fortify carryweight enchantment is really overrated, because at the point where you're power enchanting for like 50% Magic resist, there's no need to carry more than a couple weapons. Plus I always get the "Conditioning" Heavy Armor perk, which causes worn armor to weigh nothing. And there's no need to carry more than one set of armor. What are you gonna do, throw it at people?

      Two-handed weapons are sexy, but not very practical. Why? Because shields make you unkillable. I don't even have a power enchanted shield (I use Ysgramor's shield because it's sexy af), and I'm damn near completely immune to dragon attacks, to say nothing of lesser spells from enemy mages.

      Now, with that said, the two-handers look SO much sexier (in general, like) than any of the one-handed stuff. Seriously, the Rueful Axe and Wuuthrad are beautiful. Almost worth investing in the tree.

      Archery is generally seen as a stealth skill, but I love just going in with a crossbow and my heavy armor, and shooting the fuck out of a bandit encampment while they rain Ice Spikes down upon me. Fuck stealth, who needs it?

      Oh, and nobody appreciate's the Ghostblade's "Ignore Armor" ability, plus the fact that it IS affected by EF. That's a good sword, especially since it weighs NOTHING. You can do a really surprising amount of damage when you ignore enemy DR. Combine with a mace in the right hand (No enchantments, you wanna use Elemental Fury), and you'll be surprised at how much damage you do.

        Loading editor
    • Not sure if "something else" was a compliment or not. It can be seen either way. But seeing as I prefer not being part of the norm, I usually see such comments as a compliment.  My only beef with Soul Trap is I am more likely to miss because, well, to be frank, I prefer playing in 3rd person view. More cinematic, in my opinion. You raise some good points, though.

        Loading editor
    • Theseustwelve wrote: Not sure if "something else" was a compliment or not. It can be seen either way. But seeing as I prefer not being part of the norm, I usually see such comments as a compliment.  My only beef with Soul Trap is I am more likely to miss because, well, to be frank, I prefer playing in 3rd person view. More cinematic, in my opinion. You raise some good points, though.

      It was a compliment. I like you.

      Anyway, I use 3rd-person all the time, except for when I'm in combat. Combat just works better in first-person.

        Loading editor
    • I meant to say Soul Tear. Not Soul Trap. I meant Rii Vaaz Zol. I don't enjoy missing with that because MISSING with the cooldown you have is horrifying in a fight.

        Loading editor
    • I know this is late but I prefer swords. They deal decent damage and you can still block quickly. What I mean is that you can stab the enemy an then quickly block to stop the next attack, barge the shield into them to stun them if you wish, then repeat. If you have a mace or axe, once you attack you have to wait several seconds for a cool down, the end y can attack you then leaving you open from not being able to use the shield yet.

      TL:DR I think swords are better because you can then block faster with them.

        Loading editor
    • In my experience, the classic one-handed Sword + Shield combo ends up being the best for a "warrior" character.

      • (Because I most recently crafted a Stalhrim Sword and dual-enchanted it with Frost Damage & Chaos Damage; it ends up being far more damaging per-swing than any Dragonbone weapon with the same enchantments, especially once you improve said Stalhrim weapon up to "Legendary" quality.)

      Although personally, whenever I've played as an Orc, I've always waited 'til I could get all the perks in Smithing (and I was at least Level 50) before getting both the Longhammer from Liar's Retreat & Volendrung from Malacath's quest.

        Loading editor
    • Boi just take ur favorite one handed weapon and restoration spell and u be op

        Loading editor
    • The perks for warhammers and maces that allow the weapon to ignore armour are overpowered against enemies with sky high armour ratings as the damage just gets in and does much more damage that a sword or ace would but I wouldn't use them regularly in other situations unless my build used them specifically. I used a dragonbone mace and shield against the ebony warrior and with all 3 words of marked for death he really didn't stand a chamce. I'm a two handed person myself in skyrim and wuuthrad and wolf armour look ace!

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.