FANDOM


  • Im thinking of giving them out for a try, can you please tell me how good they by there music,graphics,story and quality?

    And where in Oblivion can I found them?

      Loading editor
    • I heard they were awful, like Gta 1 and 2.

        Loading editor
    • Honestly? I enjoyed daggerfall, quite a lot actually. Arena less so, just due to the size of the world. Here's a link to a video I made on installing daggerfall (its quite similar for Arena as well) the links are in the video description. I hope I did it well enough to get you started, decided not to continue with the tutorial series beyond that point for one reason: almost no one cares about daggerfall anymore. I love it, its a great game, I hope you give it a try, and be patient with it, its not an easy game to start off with.

        Loading editor
    • arena is too hard. daggerfall is fun but still very hard.

        Loading editor
    • That sums it up fairly well, the one thing I will say about those two games, and Arena in particular, by the time you make it out of the starting dungeon you have a very good handle on how to play the game. Quite a shock compared to morrowind, where you barely know how to move by the time they thrust you out into the game.

        Loading editor
    • Music - Not so much, back then there are no soundtracks composed by Mr.Jeremy Soule 

      Graphics - Obviously AR & DF <Morrowind<Oblivion<Skyrim

      Story - It's not so bad

      The Elder Scrolls arena and Daggerfall also the only two of the ES game that allowed you to ventured more than one Province of Tamriel

      and the ES arena also marked a history of gaming by being the first game to have Day/Night cycle

        Loading editor
    • Do some people enjoy for nastalgia? Its just a wonder.

        Loading editor
    • I enjoyed Daggerfall, and to a lesser degree, Arena. Considering I was born in '95, Arena is older than I am, and Daggerfall is only a year or so younger, it's hard to feel nostalgic about games that came out when you were an infant, and I still enjoyed them. Nostalgia does make old games better, but you can play them without the feeling of nostalgia being the only thing keeping you playing.

        Loading editor
    • Well unless you played them at a younge age, other than the games being close to your age,then its nastaligia.

        Loading editor
    • Daggerfall...I only know it for it's uncensored content: Nudity, the Real Barenziah...

        Loading editor
    • I only started playing Daggerfall/Arena within the last 6 months or so. By the time I had my first computer as a kid it wasnt DOS compatable, couldn't have played the games even if I had known about them. The one thing I will give Arena and Daggerfall in terms of being better than the newer generation of games is the quantity of content present in the game. As I recall there are several thousand randomly generate dungeons in daggerfall, and even more in Arena. However, the maps are far too big to do any exploring in the world. Without speed hacks it would take you weeks (of real life time) to go from one town to another in the same 'hold' in daggerfall. It could take you months if you actually wanted to go to another hold. The game survived on fast travel, and most of the dungeons were hidden, you only got the location through notes from dungeon bosses. Dungeons were also randomly generated if there were not main story dungeons. The results were that roughly 20% of the time, your quest objective would be a random room that could not be reached without a hack of some sort. Because of that, a lot of people who started in Oblivion/Skyrim will find that Arena and Daggerfall are infuriating to play. However, I really loved Daggerfall, all of your missions were 'timed' you had a certain number of days to go to the dungeon, do the quest, and return or else your reward was forfeit. After joining a guild you had a small upkeep of missions per month to do else you would loose your rank.

      The RPG elements, such as those I stated above were what really got me hooked into the game. For all its obnoxios sound effects and bad graphics, the immersion effect was almost unpresedented. 

        Loading editor
    • Dungeons, sounds they sort of made the same problem In Elder Scrolls V by adding too many caves.

        Loading editor
    • Daggerfall was my first introduction to computer RPGs, and to this day I still rate it as one of the best games I have ever played (although by todays' standards the graphics are embarassingly bad, they are just good enough to serve their purpose!).  The random quests and dungeons were actually one of my favourite elements of the game as they make it, quite literally, infinitely replayable.  How many other games from that era can say the same?

        Loading editor
    • Not much.

        Loading editor
    • Daggerfall is fun but dangerously difficult. I barely made my way out of the first dungeon!

        Loading editor
    • Arena is frustrating like hell. It's unforgiving and every single main quest is the same thing everytime. Go to a city, then go to a small place and get your ass kicked, come back, then go to another dungeon that's even harder and makes you break your keyboard, come back, then repeat the process 7 more times.

        Loading editor
    • Arena is frustrating like hell. It's unforgiving and every single main quest is the same thing everytime. Go to a city, then go to a small place and get your ass kicked, come back, then go to another dungeon that'ss even harder and makes you break your keyboard, come back, then repeat the process 7 more times.

        Loading editor
    • Hbxn wrote:
      Music - Not so much, back then there are no soundtracks composed by Mr.Jeremy Soule 

      Graphics - Obviously AR & DF <Morrowind<Oblivion<Skyrim

      Story - It's not so bad

      The Elder Scrolls arena and Daggerfall also the only two of the ES game that allowed you to ventured more than one Province of Tamriel

      and the ES arena also marked a history of gaming by being the first game to have Day/Night cycle

      I totaly agree about the soundtrack. My favourite video game composer is Jeremy Soule.

        Loading editor
    • Arena is like any old game, hard as hell and totally unforgiving. If you're like me and grew up playing supermario, legend of zelda, double dragon, and crystalis you won't be disappointed. If you aren't used to old games like that you will probably be angry and mad at bethesda

        Loading editor
    • Personally I'd say that if you want a good introduction to the older Elder Scrolls games, start with Redguard and Battlespire. They're adventure games, not open-world games, but Redguard in particular has a cracking story and they're both great fun.

      In addition, Arena is barely a part of the series by today's standards. Its creation was a mess; it was supposed to be a completely different sort of game, and it got turned into an open-world game halfway through development. (The hint is in the name as to what it was meant to be.) Daggerfall is more TES-like, but Redguard and Morrowind are the points at which Bethesda started to solidify their current ideas about Tamriel and how it worked.

      Daggerfall is pretty fun, although the towns and people are nearly all randomly-generated. From a modern perspective, it really hurts it as a game compared to Morrowind and beyond. The modern TES and Fallout games are known for the level of detail put into the landscape and the people (one reason why a single-player 'All of Tamriel!' game is never going to happen again... it'd take decades to make up to the standard we expect) and so it's a bit disappointing to walk around in Tamriel and find it bland and computer-generated. The Hackdirt conspiracy? The Rorikstead mystery? Drug paraphenalia under Caius Cosades' bed? Don't expect anything like that.

      If you can get past that, seeing as it's free on Beth's website, go for it.

        Loading editor
    • I enjoyed Daggerfall to.It's Fun.Why ? Because Map of Daggerfall is very very big.I need 14 hours or more to travel by Horse from Gothway Garden to WrothGarian Mountains without cheat.I play Daggerfall in my PC and Android through DOS Box.

      About Arena,i really don't like Arena.Because the graphics are like Super Mario Bros,and Map are smaller like Just Cause 2.But i happy with Sky Color when Night,and Water color

      In water color,Arena is the best

        Loading editor
    • I will say this im just getting out of having the first piece of the staff in arena and though I can tell I got a long way to go as a redguard knight. I must say im enjoying it. now that is to say... I have never played the other games (dagger, morrow, redguard etc. but I have played oblivioun and skyrim and loved them. Maybe im not to the part were im going to be bent over yet but so far so good.... I will say though I spammed the ever living %*@# out of the treasure pickup exploit when I was in the first dungeon. (ie. sat with 3 gold piles infront of me saved and for a rough estimate of 3 hours cycled loading a save seeing what i picked up saving if it was halfway decent and loading the original save. ... its cheating im aware but my god im loving this game right now i mean crap i walked out with a ebony helm and full plate gear with a sword that shot fire (that sold for 18k) wich helped fuel me along on starter gear. 

      ...that said..... this game is almost unplayable to a grand degree with the fact that you cant fast travel more then 3-4 days 5 TOPS if your lucky without dieing trying to get to the next town if you take a quest that has the brotherhood (in my case) on you. i seriously thought I had run into some kinda bug that drained my life when fasst traveling outside disease or poisoning... 

      will say though... the enemy spawning when your walking around sucks ... look in an empry room turn around and oh BAJEEBUZ THERES 3 ORC BEHIND ME

      =

      Question did you guys map the game to use the wasd keys? (had to do it through dos and were typing arena and anything with else that uses "a" and "s" can be annoying cause I threw them to the 1 and 2 on my numpad along with making space the jump key... most of my saves when i get lazy look more like ermaaherdj itsj aj monsturj or somthing like that.... stupid j key

        Loading editor
    • I was able to get all 5 games with the Elder Scrolls Antology for PC.

      As for if you should Arena and Daggerfall, well I can only give my opinion.

      Arena: A bit bad, it can be ok if you sit down and play for a long session, not if you want to just play for a little while. Also one annoying thing is that if you want your weapons or armour repaired, you have to leave it with the blacksmith for a few days. It also doesn't help that towns are hard to navigate and look the same. A pen and paper is useful for things like that.

      Daggerfall: I enjoyed a little more but didn't manage to get out of the starting dugeon, it's extremly big, even bigger than dugeons in later games like Oblivion and Skyrim. But the game is a lot more user friendly and looks prettier, so it's deffinatly worth a look.

        Loading editor
    • They are pretty bad. (Talking about daggerfall I haven't played arena) Honestly I can deal with the graphics it's just the controls. They are horrible, even after reconfiguring. You need to swipe the mouse to hit and hit boxes are cheap and make no sense, there are too many buttons, the tutorial is very bad so that doesn't help, there's no intereact button you need to go into grab mode and talk mode and steal mode, you can my look up or down, and climbing up stairs is atrocious. Stick with the later 3

        Loading editor
    • I played Daggerfall for years. Back then it was groundbreaking. It was head and shoulders above any other game. You have to understand, this was when the best PCs were less powerful than your smart phone, by a lot. I used to play it on a Compaq Presario with 128MB of Ram and a 350 MHz processor. It's awesome for when it came out. But it doesn't compare to modern games in terms of game engine and graphics. There were things you could do on there that you can't do on other ES games, though. You could climb, for instance, up walls. It would be cool if they added that again.

        Loading editor
    • Iv recently found out how to attack in arena.... AND YOU NEED A STICK TO GET ME AWAY FROM IT! the game speed is a bit choppy if you run it on higer detail but DOS is to blame for that not the game. anyone who rants about oh how the graphics are bad and how bad the controls are. let us just remeber here.... THAT THEY ARE OVER 20 YEARS OLD!!!! how about you go back to 1994 and play some of the games then? then see how good they were today. if you gave skyrim or something to someone back then they would burn you at the stake for witch craft! in short, im loving it. but in the end IT IS UP TO YOU!!! they are both free and any computer can run them (if mine can yours can too) the only thing i dont really like is the detail settings and how it gets slower as you crank it up (and no a more powerful PC will not fix it) but thats about it. but they are free, so you will lose nothing by playing them, and you can only gain stuff. just.... do me a favor and read the manual off the internet or something first ok?

        Loading editor
    • OH!!!! and then there is the fact that both games are bigger than any elder scrolls game EVER.... i mean, morrowind is what? 0.01% the size of the other games? hahaha WHY AM I STILL TALKING AND NOT PLAYING?!

        Loading editor
    • Ottoman Hold
      Ottoman Hold removed this reply because:
      Random thread resurection for almost no reason/off topic
      23:00, December 5, 2016
      This reply has been removed
    • JAYDAKID97 wrote:
      112.215.36.144 wrote:
      I enjoyed Daggerfall to.It's Fun.Why ? Because Map of Daggerfall is very very big.I need 14 hours or more to travel by Horse from Gothway Garden to WrothGarian Mountains without cheat.I play Daggerfall in my PC and Android through DOS Box.

      About Arena,i really don't like Arena.Because the graphics are like Super Mario Bros,and Map are smaller like Just Cause 2.But i happy with Sky Color when Night,and Water color

      In water color,Arena is the best 

      In English please?


      dduuuhhhh its fun because it super big and need hours to cross it without fast travel dduuuhhhh

        Loading editor
    • The grandaddy of them all. A tremendous storyline and wonderful lore preluse ot ES2-5. But thats all that can be said about it.  Controls sucked...game play was slooooooooooow. And it took ya week just to get out of the start up dungeon....because the controls were lousy. couple that to pitful pc reaction...and the story is tod. They didnt even have W-A-S-D fer gawds sake.

      the graphics given the time context were fine.

      Here's another reason why u should boycott and refuse any more ES games until this and all the rest are remastered by the B lads. And that would make them a giant fortune again. Skyrim has been. And Oblivion and Morrowind are being done by amatuers...and my hates off to them...at least they care.


      Instead of dragging me back a 1000 years to ESO...I dont get em. And by the way imo ESO was a sop to cover the company's dereliction and abandonment of a ES6 dev and going on with that crap known as Fallout.

      Bethesada made their fortune on ES....not some redregged zombie apoco bs...thats been overplayed for the last 15 years now. If ur lucky u see an ES6 by 2025. So boycott. Badmouth em on forums and at conventions...and demand a remater of ALL titles. That they can do it...is obvious.

        Loading editor
    • 112.215.36.144 wrote:
      I enjoyed Daggerfall to.It's Fun.Why ? Because Map of Daggerfall is very very big.I need 14 hours or more to travel by Horse from Gothway Garden to WrothGarian Mountains without cheat.I play Daggerfall in my PC and Android through DOS Box.

      About Arena,i really don't like Arena.Because the graphics are like Super Mario Bros,and Map are smaller like Just Cause 2.But i happy with Sky Color when Night,and Water color

      In water color,Arena is the best

      I'm having trouble getting Arena to run on my Android.  Do you have a link to an article or video that can help?

        Loading editor
    • i don know that daggerfall has one of the biggest maps of ANY open world RPG

        Loading editor
    • Superior Skymonkey wrote:
      i don know that daggerfall has one of the biggest maps of ANY open world RPG

      Daggerfell includes 2 provinces but Arena includes all of Tamriel.  I would assume Arena is the biggest.  Haven't played either so I'm just going by what I've read.

        Loading editor
    • Mattespo02 wrote:
      Superior Skymonkey wrote:
      i don know that daggerfall has one of the biggest maps of ANY open world RPG
      Daggerfell includes 2 provinces but Arena includes all of Tamriel.  I would assume Arena is the biggest.  Haven't played either so I'm just going by what I've read.

      i said ONE OF, and im pretty sure most of the map is non-explorable

        Loading editor
    • 72.175.168.237 wrote:
      The grandaddy of them all. A tremendous storyline and wonderful lore preluse ot ES2-5. But thats all that can be said about it.  Controls sucked...game play was slooooooooooow. And it took ya week just to get out of the start up dungeon....because the controls were lousy. couple that to pitful pc reaction...and the story is tod. They didnt even have W-A-S-D fer gawds sake.

      the graphics given the time context were fine.

      Here's another reason why u should boycott and refuse any more ES games until this and all the rest are remastered by the B lads. And that would make them a giant fortune again. Skyrim has been. And Oblivion and Morrowind are being done by amatuers...and my hates off to them...at least they care.


      Instead of dragging me back a 1000 years to ESO...I dont get em. And by the way imo ESO was a sop to cover the company's dereliction and abandonment of a ES6 dev and going on with that crap known as Fallout.

      Bethesada made their fortune on ES....not some redregged zombie apoco bs...thats been overplayed for the last 15 years now. If ur lucky u see an ES6 by 2025. So boycott. Badmouth em on forums and at conventions...and demand a remater of ALL titles. That they can do it...is obvious.


      you seriously having a rant about controls and graphics and such in a game thats going on 25 years old, has a map that takes 14 days to cross real time, AND was about a 100th the size of the download of skyrim? seriously? yes it had its faults, but this was from a time when computers were about the size of a building... your toaster could arena these days... and not even a good toaster. i know iv said it before.... but the WASD controls are only from the last 10 to 15 years... heck, war craft and star craft used F10 to pause the game. not everything in games and controls started out as it did, it requred expermentantion and trial and error... so how about you quit the childish rant, start spelling the games correctly, stop bitching about a game that was made to be an MMO by a company NOT THE PEOPLE WHO MADE SKYRIM and grow up? also yes, i agree, elder scrolls online sucked, but thats because it was made an MMO... which are shit, and not skyrim... which was only a teeny tiny bit less shit.

        Loading editor
    • Superior Skymonkey wrote:
      Mattespo02 wrote:
      Superior Skymonkey wrote:
      i don know that daggerfall has one of the biggest maps of ANY open world RPG
      Daggerfell includes 2 provinces but Arena includes all of Tamriel.  I would assume Arena is the biggest.  Haven't played either so I'm just going by what I've read.
      i said ONE OF, and im pretty sure most of the map is non-explorable

      uuhhmmm... yes. it is explorable. how about you play it? strangely bethesda has allowed free download... which is strange given bethesda.

        Loading editor
    • i meant arena with the map, sorry, should have clarified, but im probably still wrong, sorry for being so blunt about it

        Loading editor
    • Brenton239 wrote:

      Superior Skymonkey wrote:
      Mattespo02 wrote:
      Superior Skymonkey wrote:
      i don know that daggerfall has one of the biggest maps of ANY open world RPG
      Daggerfell includes 2 provinces but Arena includes all of Tamriel.  I would assume Arena is the biggest.  Haven't played either so I'm just going by what I've read.
      i said ONE OF, and im pretty sure most of the map is non-explorable

      uuhhmmm... yes. it is explorable. how about you play it? strangely bethesda has allowed free download... which is strange given bethesda.

      I tried to play Arena. Couldn't get it to work on my computer. I heard the problem might have something to do with being 16 or 32 bit.

        Loading editor
    • 174.53.156.160 wrote: They are pretty bad. (Talking about daggerfall I haven't played arena) Honestly I can deal with the graphics it's just the controls. They are horrible, even after reconfiguring. You need to swipe the mouse to hit and hit boxes are cheap and make no sense, there are too many buttons, the tutorial is very bad so that doesn't help, there's no intereact button you need to go into grab mode and talk mode and steal mode, you can my look up or down, and climbing up stairs is atrocious. Stick with the later 3

      Sounds like the problem is you not the game

        Loading editor
    • Hbxn wrote:
      Music - Not so much, back then there are no soundtracks composed by Mr.Jeremy Soule 

      and the ES arena also marked a history of gaming by being the first game to have Day/Night cycle

      I beg to differ.  Daggerfall has some really excellent, well-composed tunes.

      I also don't think Arena was the first game to have a day/night cycle.  Castlevania II (1987) had a day/night cycle, though it is a binary (day and night, no morning/afternoon/evening/etc).

        Loading editor
    • I can't say much about Arena. I haven't played it, and what I've seen of it just makes me think of a less fleshed out Daggerfall.

      Now, as for Daggerfall... Obviously, you're looking at an older game. The graphics aren't going to be the thing that draws you in, though they are quaint. I remember liking some of the music, though it's obviously not Jeremy Soule's amazing work.

      The thing about Daggerfall though, is that first, you should consider when it was released. Other than Arena, I know of no game which remotely resembles it. It's an open world RPG with no pressure to do your main quest. How novel! Also, you level your skills by using them. That's so cool!

      Even more than that, though, realize that Daggerfall is the most complex of the Elder Scroll games in terms of mechanics. Each game which followed dumbed things down and removed features. For example, where's the bank in Morrowind where you can borrow money to buy your own house? Yeah... I think they removed the trial system when you were arrested, too. And you can't climb anymore. You could climb any damn vertical surface in Daggerfall.

      Daggerfall was the last game in the Elder Scrolls series, I think, where someone was trying to fulfill an artistic vision, instead of a sell a game, and I think that's very, very sad, because the former breeds excellence, while the latter breeds mainstream-consumable mediocrity.

        Loading editor
    • AMAZING but hard as hell

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
*Disclosure: Some of the links above are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, Fandom will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.

Fandom may earn an affiliate commission on sales made from links on this page.

Stream the best stories.

Fandom may earn an affiliate commission on sales made from links on this page.

Get Disney+