FANDOM


  • Jimeee
    Jimeee closed this thread because:
    Decision was made.
    13:15, June 16, 2014

    Which name should we use to refer to our character in articles? There was a discussion not too long ago regarding this, but I don't remember Vestige being mentioned. I bring up this name as The Prophet refers to you as this name. 

      Loading editor
    • Personally, I feel that The Soulless One should be used standard, but in longer articles (i.e. quests) some variance in the noun used would help. The only issue is potential confusions in newer users/ones unfarmilliar to the term.

        Loading editor
    • That's what I mean - the character is told they are the Vestige within the first 10 minutes of the game. (Time may vary - when you first meet the Prophet)

        Loading editor
    • I think we should use Vestige instead. In each game, the Hero is called exactly as how they are refered. Hero of Kvatch, Dragonborn, Neravarine, etc.

        Loading editor
    • (Highlighted this thread to get more opinions from editors).

        Loading editor
    • I agree with Dark Jeto. Although i cannot remember hearing the name name Vestige ever before, even though i've spend a lot of hours playing the Beta. Still, if the main character is called this way, we should use Vestige.

        Loading editor
    • Which name is heard more commonly throughout the game? Whichever is used the most should be used. Like how The Hero of Kvatch later becomes Champion of Cyrodiil, but no one really refers to them as Champion, they are more commonly refered to as the Hero, or Hero of Kvatch.

        Loading editor
    • Kennyannydenny wrote:
      I agree with Dark Jeto. Although i cannot remember hearing the name name Vestige ever before, even though i've spend a lot of hours playing the Beta. Still, if the main character is called this way, we should use Vestige.

      The Prophet calls you Vestige every time you see him. (Main Quest).

      The two quests with him so far (Soul Shriven in Coldharbor and The Harborage).

        Loading editor
    • Also, vestige means 'a trace of something that is disappearing or no longer exists'. It could simply be the Prophet's choice of words. The Soulless One being called a vestige would make sense, seeing that the Soulless One technically dosen't exist or is losing their existance. (because they have no soul.)

        Loading editor
    • I think it'd be better for us to wait until we know what Vestige exactly means

        Loading editor
    • Isn't he/she mentioned as "The Soulless One" in the Elder Scrolls prophecy? The Hero of Kvatch and the Last Dragonborn both have several aliases. I think that The Soulless One is more well known than "Vestige". Just my personal opinion.

        Loading editor
    • Dark Jeto wrote: I think we should use Vestige instead. In each game, the Hero is called exactly as how they are refered. Hero of Kvatch, Dragonborn, Neravarine, etc.

      I have no dang clue what the heck we are talking about, but I agree with this guy, but Vestige is in the first person, so I propose we use The Vestige in the articles.

      P.S.: Nerevarine is spelled N-E-R-E-V-A-R-I-N-E.

        Loading editor
    • The Prophet isn't the only one who calls the player "Vestige". After saving Lyris from Coldharbour, she refers to the player as Vestige as well. It is likely that all future members of the companions that the Prophet is assembling will also address them in this manner.

      So far, I have yet to see a single NPC that will refer to you as "The Soulless One".

        Loading editor
    • Vestige is less of a mouth-full and the protagonist of ESO is referred to as it. Never heard anyone call him the Soulless One, best to use Vestige as people will recognise it more.

        Loading editor
    • I think more people will be familiar with the Souless One. Or perhaps the player could be referred to as the name that is used more often by NPCs.

        Loading editor
    • Ra'Sava wrote:
      I think more people will be familiar with the Souless One. Or perhaps the player could be referred to as the name that is used more often by NPCs.

      How about we all just call him Mithir Maldor? =D

      No? Okay...

        Loading editor
    • Well, the Dragonborn has several names. So, maybe no, if any other NPC calls him/her something else.

        Loading editor
    • Soulless One was what he was called officially, but I can't play the game so...

      However, Vestige seems a bit off from what a protagonist is usually called.

        Loading editor
    • The Vestige. :)

        Loading editor
    • I say Vestige because that is what the Prophet calls you. 

        Loading editor
    • Rukathesoldier is correct. Vestage is used as if it were a proper name, the Hero of Kvatch is a title/description, so "the Hero" and "Vestage" are the correct usages.

        Loading editor
    • the Skyrim character's official title is "the one that carries the mead", right? :p

        Loading editor
    • In Oblivion and Skyrim you get both those titles within the first real quest. And then that's what you're referred to i.e. The Hero of Kvatch and Dragonborn. I agree with Vestige, within the first main quest that's what you get as a title and The Prophet and Lyris Titanborn both refer to you as Vestige.

        Loading editor
    • I vote for Soulless one. Sounds cooler.

        Loading editor
    • The Soulless One is the proper name going by Zemimax - there is even a lore book that uses the term "Soulless One", giving a big hint towards the player.

      While the Prophet calls you Vestige, it just a description of what you are. The dictionary definition of Vestige is "a trace or remnant of something that is disappearing or no longer exists."

      Titles are okay to use. "Dragonborn" is a title.

        Loading editor
    • My vote's for Vestige. It's not just the Prophet who calls you that, Lyris Titanborn does too in later missions. I believe the people of that storyline will refer to the player thusly. I don't remember the term 'soulless one' being explicitly mentioned.

        Loading editor
    • Jimeee wrote:
      The Soulless One is the proper name going by Zemimax - there is even a lore book that uses the term "Soulless One", giving a big hint towards the player.

      While the Prophet calls you Vestige, it just a description of what you are. The dictionary definition of Vestige is "a trace or remnant of something that is disappearing or no longer exists."

      Titles are okay to use. "Dragonborn" is a title.

      Does no one care about the definition? Its been said twice now; Vestige is used as a description, not a title. And as Jimeee wrote: "The Soulless One is the proper name going by Zenimax." If Zenimax wants The Soulless One, we should go with the Soulless One.

        Loading editor
    • Let's not fight about it. Does any other NPC call the Soulless One something else? Let's take that into consideration, alright?

        Loading editor
    • What no one else seems to have brought up is that the player is not the only "Soulless One", and no I'm not talking about other players. In the intro, we are introduced to dozens, maybe hundreds of other Soul Shriven, who like the player are Soulless. So the term Soulless One isn't unique or descriptive of the player themselves. It's basically the equivalent of one of the Hold Guards walking up to the Dragonborn and saying "Staying out of trouble, Argonian?" There is only one Vestige, and that's you. 

      The only reason I think the term "Soulless One" was used by Zenimax is because during the beta, "the Vestige" didn't exist. Alot of things changed between the beta and launch. They probably just didn't think of the name until later and decided to add it in. Because the Prophet certainly didn't call you Vestige during the beta, but he does now.

        Loading editor
    • Mike Gilbert wrote:
      Let's not fight about it. Does any other NPC call the Soulless One something else? Let's take that into consideration, alright?


      Didn't mean to come across as hostile, I was just stating facts that people seem to be overlooking. Zenimax has definitely made this very difficult by giving the player two different names. And the Soulless One can still be a title, like how The Dragonborn is a title, yet there were once many Dragonborn. Also, the other soulless ones are refered to as Soul Shriven, but multiple NPC's refer to the player as "Vestige" as a proper noun, capitalized and all. This is a very messy situation. Is there any way we can ask Zenimax about the cannon name of the player?

        Loading editor
    • I like the idea of Vestige better because it could be programmed a prerequisite for NPCs.

        Loading editor
    • The Vestige sounds better, it builds character.

        Loading editor
    • I agree with Jacen, why don't we just write Zenimax and find out from them officially?

        Loading editor
    • Well, this is disappointing. The Soulless One sounds way cooler :p

        Loading editor
    • Sky Above,Voice Within wrote:
      Well, this is disappointing. The Soulless One sounds way cooler :p


      It does. :( But we shouldn't get upset now, a desicion has yet to be made on this matter. We just need to figure out what Zenimax wanted the main character to be called. It is very strange that it does not state yhe name anywhere. Perhaps there is an official game guide or something that has the official name?

        Loading editor
    • I saw a video on YouTube check out the channel IGN there was a video with zenimax talking about ESO and they said: "the character is known as the soulless one. Their soul has been stolen by the king of worms and they are on a quest to reclaim it" they then start to talk about coldharbour, so based on that I'm saying the soulless one + it can be abbreviated to TSO if need be making it easier to type than vestige which can't be abbreviated to vest, so I'm going to say the soulless one. 

        Loading editor
    • MeGa-WeReWoLf wrote:
      I saw a video on YouTube check out the channel IGN there was a video with zenimax talking about ESO and they said: "the character is known as the soulless one. Their soul has been stolen by the king of worms and they are on a quest to reclaim it" they then start to talk about coldharbour, so based on that I'm saying the soulless one + it can be abbreviated to TSO if need be making it easier to type than vestige which can't be abbreviated to vest, so I'm going to say the soulless one. 

      That's an old video. Older than the new term "Vestige". They could have easily changed their minds.

        Loading editor
    • I like Vestige better and on the pages I'm uploading and editing I've been using Vestige. It redirects to The Soulless One anyways so I don't think its a big deal other than the title on that particular page. Because we could refer to the main character as both on the pages and people would understand what we were talking about as well as a link if they didn't.

        Loading editor
    • "Vestige" is the proper name given by the Prophet in the beginning of the main quest. It is also the only common name referring to the player that Ive heard while talking to NPCs thus far. Vestige is always capitalized in the text when referring to the player, meaning it is in fact a proper noun (ie, name). 

      "The Souless One" is a specific title applied to the Vestige. Souless One, however, can also be applied to any Soul Shriven NPCs as they too are - by definition - souless. I too saw a book in game where the player is called The Souless One, but that source cannot eclipse multiple key NPCs in the main quest line using a different name. And while TSO is easier to type, acronyms can very quickly create more confussion than theyre worth.

      I will be going with "Vestige" to define the player character. Any newb player checking the wiki should be able to make the connection after hearing the Prophet call them that. Alternately, you can always just say "Player."

      My 2gp.

        Loading editor
    • Does the Soulless One have any other names? Like how the Dragonborn was called something under the Stormcloaks.

        Loading editor
    • Vestige sounds better IMO but we should have a redirect from "the soulless one"

        Loading editor
    • Nelthro wrote:
      Vestige sounds better IMO but we should have a redirect from "the soulless one"

      I made a redirect from Vestige to Soulless One, but it could be switched around; depending on what people decide. We would have to transfer all the info from 'Soulless One' to 'Vestige'.

        Loading editor
    • I personaly think that "the soulless one" sounds more epic than the vestige name 

        Loading editor
    • hi shawn tie
        Loading editor
    • How about "the player" instead? The Vestige sounds too individualized. If we can't settle on that, I will e-mail Zenimax.

        Loading editor
    • It was decided not to use "the player" long ago, preferring game titles over it.

        Loading editor
    • Pro Vestige points:

      1 Vestige is, as has been pointed out, used ingame as a capitalised proper noun.

      2 This is the name by which all the leading characters of the main questline refer to you.

      3 Soulless One is not used anywhere ingame that I have encountered yet.

      4 Soulless one is cold, fairly characterless, and not very unique (first page of Google matches include a starfighter from Starwars; a book by Mark L Prophet; a Magic: The Gathering card; Vestige in comparison has a lot of color and sounds good and unique.

      5 The meaning of the term "vestige" is very clear, as is why it is applied to the player's character.

      6 The identity of Vestige is also clear to anyone who has played more than a few minutes of the game.

      7 The overwhelming majority of editors here seem to favor it, so I suspect it will become the defacto term that everyone uses, even if another term were to be officially decreed by Zenimax or others.

      8 Personally, I'd never heard of "The Soulless One" until I'd come to this page, and feel it to be a really stupid name that doesn't fit with the other titles of the main characters in the TES series.

      Pro The Soulless One points:

      1 "The Soulless One is the proper name going by Zenimax." [citation needed]

      2 Three of the first page hits for "The Soulless One" are ESO related. None of the first page for "Vestige" or "The Vestige" are ESO related.

        Loading editor
    • Easy solution:

      Use the title "Vestige" when in discussion as it's alot easier. But add an addendum like:

      "The vestige, also known as The Soulless One was a hero in the second era blah blah blah"

      Officially, you could refer the hero either way. However remember that "Vestige" is the title given by the Prophet. You earn dozens more titles along the way like "Hand of Almalexia" and "Hero of Davons Watch" if your in the Ebonhart Pact.

      So The Soulless one is probably more accurate, but Vestige is more popular and far easier in general conversation.

        Loading editor
    • Sadowson wrote: Easy solution:

      Use the title "Vestige" when in discussion as it's alot easier. But add an addendum like:

      "The vestige, also known as The Soulless One was a hero in the second era blah blah blah"

      Officially, you could refer the hero either way. However remember that "Vestige" is the title given by the Prophet. You earn dozens more titles along the way like "Hand of Almalexia" and "Hero of Davons Watch" if your in the Ebonhart Pact.

      So The Soulless one is probably more accurate, but Vestige is more popular and far easier in general conversation.

      Now you're talking.

        Loading editor
    • Since opinions are very mixed, how about we open this up to the wider community and place a poll on the main page asking what out readers would prefer the player character be called in all the ESO pages? Community Tracks are only seen by regular editors, so this discussion might be missed by the larger community.

      If you agree, give Kudos to this message and I'll post a second poll on the main page if there is enough interest.

        Loading editor
    • Soulless One. I've never heard anyone refer to Vestige. However, I HAVE heard Zenimax say "The Soulless One" on multiple accounts.

        Loading editor
    • Just giving out an idea. The starwars wikia referred to characters from SWTOR by titles. Such as the Sith inquisitor is referred to as "Darth Nox" or "Kallig", and the jedi knight is referred to as "Hero of Tython".

      Pretty much the same thing here.

        Loading editor
    • Timeoin wrote:
      Which name should we use to refer to our character in articles? There was a discussion not too long ago regarding this, but I don't remember Vestige being mentioned. I bring up this name as The Prophet refers to you as this name. 


      Vestige seems to sound more mysterious and awesome........ plus the Soulless One is a little bit dark.

        Loading editor
    • ^ ^ And "Vestige" isn't? (It is essentially the same thing as being called "Remnant").

        Loading editor
    • Jacen Veron wrote:
      Also, vestige means 'a trace of something that is disappearing or no longer exists'. It could simply be the Prophet's choice of words. The Soulless One being called a vestige would make sense, seeing that the Soulless One technically dosen't exist or is losing their existance. (because they have no soul.)

      Because, I say Soulless One, because they both mean the same thing.

        Loading editor
    • Jimeee wrote:
      Since opinions are very mixed, how about we open this up to the wider community and place a poll on the main page asking what out readers would prefer the player character be called in all the ESO pages? Community Tracks are only seen by regular editors, so this discussion might be missed by the larger community.

      If you agree, give Kudos to this message and I'll post a second poll on the main page if there is enough interest.

      The problem with that is the potential vote manipulation. (multiple votes per person). 

        Loading editor
    • Vestige is the verb the soulless one is the noun... nuff said

        Loading editor
    • MeGa-WeReWoLf wrote:
      Vestige is the verb the soulless one is the noun... nuff said

      A verb is an action. How is Vestige a verb? 

        Loading editor
    • ^adjective

        Loading editor
    • Rukathesoldier wrote:
      MeGa-WeReWoLf wrote:
      Vestige is the verb the soulless one is the noun... nuff said
      A verb is an action. How is Vestige a verb? 

      The definition said disappearing-verb

        Loading editor
    • I think we should explain on a page about the soulless one and the character that you make, that he is also the vestige.

        Loading editor
    • EldercouncilFail wrote:
      I think we should explain on a page about the soulless one and the character that you make, that he is also the vestige.

      We already do this. Although, which one should be the main title of that page? That is this discussion.

        Loading editor
    • Flugsmith wrote:
      EldercouncilFail wrote:
      I think we should explain on a page about the soulless one and the character that you make, that he is also the vestige.
      We already do this. Although, which one should be the main title of that page? That is this discussion.

      Exactly. Is it The Vestige, also known as the Soulless One. Or is it the Soulless One, also known as the Vestige?

        Loading editor
    • I have placed the poll on the main page now. We will give it exactly 7 days (ending Sunday 13th April) and whatever option gets the largest vote is what we should use for all ESO pages. The losing name will be redirected to the winning name.

        Loading editor
    • I still vote for The Soulless one.

      Another note is that if your in the Ebonhart Pact, King Jorunn also gives you the title of Kings Arrow. Which is a pretty big deal since you get called that by guards afterwards and a few talkable npc's.

      But nobody else outside of the Five Companions calls you Vestige.


      The same could be said for The Dragonborn (Or Dovahkiin... Whatev's). Throughout their journey they are given multiple titles, including thaneship, The Night Mothers Whisperer and Guildmaster of The Theives Guild...


      But I digress. The poll is up and shall decide forever more. It would appear at the moment that The Soulless one is winning.

        Loading editor
    • Titles don't matter because they're optional. Please stop bringing them up it has nothing to do with either The Soulless One or the Vestige. I imagine at then end of the main quest line you're going to get your freaking soul back so calling the player The Soulless One will be redundant after that. It's ridiculous. I like Vestige.

        Loading editor
    • Assassin'sArt wrote:
      Titles don't matter because they're optional. Please stop bringing them up it has nothing to do with either The Soulless One or the Vestige. I imagine at then end of the main quest line you're going to get your freaking soul back so calling the player The Soulless One will be redundant after that. It's ridiculous. I like Vestige.

      If the player gets their soul back, then both of the names will be meaningless. Since the player will no longer be non-existant or disappearing, they won't really be The Vestige or the Soulless One.

        Loading editor
    • But you wouldn't know that by the title Vestige ;) unless you looked it up hah.

        Loading editor
    • We already knew what vestige means...;-p

        Loading editor
    • Vestige makes more sense (as to what the protagonist is called). The only person that I've seen that calls the Vestige something other than Vestige (but still along the lines of it (just for clarification)) would be Almalexia, who calls the Vestige "The child whos soul was stolen." Ask anyone, it's much easier to say Vestige.

        Loading editor
    • 73.49.233.111 wrote:
      Vestige makes more sense (as to what the protagonist is called). The only person that I've seen that calls the Vestige something other than Vestige (but still along the lines of it (just for clarification)) would be Almalexia, who calls the Vestige "The child whos soul was stolen." Ask anyone, it's much easier to say Vestige.

      I forgot to mention that the Soulless One is the name of General Grievous' starfighter. Even though that this is the Elder Scrolls wiki, I felt that I should say this to add on to the argument as to what the wiki page should be called. I just realized how much of a nerd I am...

        Loading editor
    • 73.49.233.111 wrote:
      73.49.233.111 wrote:
      Vestige makes more sense (as to what the protagonist is called). The only person that I've seen that calls the Vestige something other than Vestige (but still along the lines of it (just for clarification)) would be Almalexia, who calls the Vestige "The child whos soul was stolen." Ask anyone, it's much easier to say Vestige.
      I forgot to mention that the Soulless One is the name of General Grievous' starfighter. Even though that this is the Elder Scrolls wiki, I felt that I should say this to add on to the argument as to what the wiki page should be called. I just realized how much of a nerd I am...

      I thought his ship was the Invisible Hand. or is it his belbullab? Sorry, thats a lot off topic. The titles will still be meaningless if the player has a soul. Perhaps at the end of the main quest they receive a new title, like in Oblivion.

        Loading editor
    • Okay, so there is this quest in the EP where we need to find a vestige of Saint veloth, so I think soulless one is more preferable.

        Loading editor
    • 73.49.233.111 wrote:
      73.49.233.111 wrote:
      Vestige makes more sense (as to what the protagonist is called). The only person that I've seen that calls the Vestige something other than Vestige (but still along the lines of it (just for clarification)) would be Almalexia, who calls the Vestige "The child whos soul was stolen." Ask anyone, it's much easier to say Vestige.
      I forgot to mention that the Soulless One is the name of General Grievous' starfighter. Even though that this is the Elder Scrolls wiki, I felt that I should say this to add on to the argument as to what the wiki page should be called. I just realized how much of a nerd I am...

      Can you imagine if anyone on here were nerds? They would be outcast for being so different.

      And by that I mean that most of us are nerds, and speaking for myself at least, proud of it.

        Loading editor
    • Has anyone completed the main questline yet? Does the player receive a new title? Like the Soulfull One? :P

        Loading editor
    • Wanna hear a spoiler?

        Loading editor
    • Jacen Veron wrote:
      Has anyone completed the main questline yet? Does the player receive a new title? Like the Soulfull One? :P

      Good point, does the player stop being "Soulless" at the end of the storyline, and thus, ceases to be referred to as the "Soulless One"?

        Loading editor
    • Flugsmith
      Flugsmith removed this reply because:
      Posted twice
      15:37, April 8, 2014
      This reply has been removed
    • Seriously? This is pretty important, MQ wise, it could ruin your whole ESO experience.....especially since I'm the only level 23 in this wiki and has already completed this quest.

        Loading editor
    • M.Owen LFC! wrote:
      Seriously? This is pretty important, MQ wise, it could ruin your whole ESO experience.....especially since I'm the only level 23 in this wiki and has already completed this quest.

      Nah don't. But, do make an article about the quest.

        Loading editor
    • I'll leave a subtle clue, the prophet is someone else, of great importance too.

        Loading editor
    • M.Owen LFC! wrote:
      I'll leave a subtle clue, the prophet is someone else, of great importance too.

      Oh yeah, I found out whilst editing. Nevermind. Back to the topic.

        Loading editor
    • M.Owen LFC! wrote:
      I'll leave a subtle clue, the prophet is someone else, of great importance too.

      Why do I have an awful feeling I know who it is. Please tell me I'm wrong.

        Loading editor
    • Jacen Veron wrote:
      M.Owen LFC! wrote:
      I'll leave a subtle clue, the prophet is someone else, of great importance too.
      Why do I have an awful feeling I know who it is. Please tell me I'm wrong.

      You're wrong. Feel better?

        Loading editor
    • That's no secret. He's Emperor I want to be a Dragonborn. Can you please give us something more serious? Like any possible flirtations. Coronation ceremonies. Or the bad guy's defeats.

        Loading editor
    • I'm siding for the Soulless One, you would have to know he is Soulless, to understand why he is called a Vestige.

        Loading editor
    • M.Owen LFC! wrote:
      I'll leave a subtle clue, the prophet is someone else, of great importance too.

      Is he the emporer? That was my thought during the beta. (also, haven't even started the Lyris quest yet)

        Loading editor
    • For reference: [1]. (spoiler). My instincts are often right.  Big give away was when he says that "this whole thing was my fault"

        Loading editor
    • He is the ex-emperor, and apparently thinks you're pissed at him because he "deceived" you and says he will allow you to kill him once this while shenanigan is over.

        Loading editor
    • Also, I think we should have separate pages for the two, at least for now. The reason is simple: Spoilers. The merge template gives away his identity right at the very top of the page.

        Loading editor
    • So you didn't see my remark? As for the merge, I say we do it once we have all the information. I mean the main quest line can't just be six quests.

        Loading editor
    • M.Owen LFC! wrote: Okay, so there is this quest in the EP where we need to find a vestige of Saint veloth, so I think soulless one is more preferable.

      Me thinks he should be soulless one.

        Loading editor
    • Timeoin wrote:
      Also, I think we should have separate pages for the two, at least for now. The reason is simple: Spoilers. The merge template gives away his identity right at the very top of the page.

      As always, spoilers are inherent to a wiki. But in this particular case the merge template should be removed if the game consider's them to be two seperate NPC's with their own dialogues, etc. The lore page is what would be the merged version.

        Loading editor
    • I was figuring it was him because when he takes you into his MEMORIES and you see all the Companions and what happened from there you have to figure he was one of them, obviously not Mannimarco, Lyris no, Abnur Tharn is still sitting the Elder Council, he's obviously not Redguard so I just figured it..

        Loading editor
    • I believe he should be called Vestige, because thats the name the prophet gives you in the first 25 minutes of the game. 

        Loading editor
    • Soulless One wins at 220-102. Vestige redirects to Soulless One, but Soulless One is what should be used on all ESO pages when need be.

        Loading editor
    • Is there still no direct confirmation from Zenimax on a name?

        Loading editor
    • No.

        Loading editor
    • I've played through the entire Main Quest of ESO, you're referred to as "Soulless One" once, hundreds of times as "Vestige". Just saying. Plus, you get your soul back in the end. 

        Loading editor
    • I'm not satisfied with the results either. I feel that more people voted for "Soulless One", because it sounded cooler, which I don't even agree with (I mean really? Soulless One? That sounds like what an RPG developer names a generic boss fight when he can't think of anything original), rather than voting on the more logical choice of Vestiage because it is the one that the game itself identifies the player as the mass majority of the time.

        Loading editor
    • Oh, by the name of Herma-Mora, can we just agree on ONE, and be done with it?!?

        Loading editor
    • There's this quest in the EP where you need to find the vestige of Saint veloth.

        Loading editor
    • Oh, by the name of Herma-Mora, can we just agree on ONE, and be done with it?!?

      ...

        Loading editor
    • I feel we should wait for Zenimax to officially say what the main playable character is. Seems a little lazy that they haven't given the protagonist an official title of sorts. Until then, I guess the Soulless One will do...

        Loading editor
    • In reply to that picture - that is true, until they make a second one, and bring Sean Connery back, for no reason at all.

        Loading editor
    • I'd just like to point out that the only time in the game you're referred to as "Soulless One" is as an adjective, not a title. I recall both Varen and Tharn say it, as in: "You are a soulless one, so you cannot be the sacrifice.", but whenever the Five Companions address you, it's as "Vestige", as in: "Vestige, return to the Harborage." or "Vestige, hold them off!" or "Let the Vestige decide."

      I don't know why we started calling the player character "Soulless One" in the first place.

        Loading editor
    • Did my Vestige of Saint Veloth post was completely ignored? It is proof that the title of "Vestige" is not only used by the soulless one himself.

        Loading editor
    • M.Owen LFC! wrote:
      Did my Vestige of Saint Veloth post was completely ignored? It is proof that the title of "Vestige" is not only used by the soulless one himself.

      Wouldn't be hard to make a "The Vestige" and a seperate "Vestige of Saint Veloth" page.

      I'm personally against the "Soulless One" because you're never called that in the game. You're called "The Vestige".

        Loading editor
    • While you're not directly referred to as "The Soulless one", there is a quest in Stonefalls where a servsnt or priest (can't remember) of Almalexia refers to you as "the one who lost his/her soul."

        Loading editor
    • Once or twice :P

      You're called "The Vestige" dozens if not more than a hundred times.

        Loading editor
    • So far in the game as far as I have come, the only one who called them Vestige is the Prophet. But then I haven't come that far yet... There is also a quest on Betnikh where they are referred to "one without a soul"..

        Loading editor
    • I'm level 28 and Lyris and Abnur refers you as vestige, Sai will probably too.

        Loading editor
    • All of the Companions refer to the player as Vestige. Tharn, the Prophet, Lyris, and Sai. I hear it frequently. The only thing I don't hear is The Damn Soulless One. I'm referred to several times as lacking a soul and one without a soul and so on and so forth and because of this anomaly the player can do several things that others can't. But I still do not see why we would call him The Soulless One. The Hero of Kvatch could have been called Jeff. But he's the damn Hero of Kvatch and will be referred to as such. The Vestige is called the Vestige a plenty. I don't understand why this is a debate.

        Loading editor
    • Technically, the vote is over and the vast majority wanted Soulless One, so we go with that.

        Loading editor
    • Aye Aye Cap'n

        Loading editor
    • Ain't arguing that point. Just disappointed in it is all.

        Loading editor
    • So... if we had a vote to refer to all instances of "The Last Dragonborn" as "Ultimate Dragonslayer", even though he's only called that in game once-twice, we'd do it? Yeesh.

      I don't know why this was put to a vote we'd had the chance to play the game through. You're called Soulless One once or twice in the game, whereas you're constantly referred to as Vestige. Even in "The Chronicles of the Five Companions", written by Lyris, Sai and Tharn, they write down "The Vestige" when referring to your character. The Prophet calls you "Vestige" in nearly every sentence, Mannimarco calls you Vestige, Meridia call you Vestige, Molag Bal calls you Vestige during the final battle...

        Loading editor
    • No spoilers.

        Loading editor
    • I thought we'd all agreed upon NOT using those polls as a voting tool, because of how easy it is to manipulate? (You can vote half a dozen times, for instance, or just get other people to visit the site, vote, and leave again).

      Anyways, I accept that the page will get Soulless One.

      Next up, Draevan, that seems like a good idea. In the name of Science, you should create a thread about Skyrim Character's name. Ultimate Dragonslavyer is my preference, although Guy-Who-Carries-The-Mead would have to be a very close second.  :P

      I'll probably refer to them as Vestige though, just out of habit. Since, you know, its the official name. The only reference anyone could find as to the name officially being soulless one was a game magazine that has no relation to the development of the game whatsoever. 

        Loading editor
    • Apologies. I did find an obscure reference to Soulless One here, regarding standing in the fire. However, there is still dozens of references to the other one.

        Loading editor
    • So... why are calling the page Soulless One, then? It's not the character's name.

        Loading editor
    • Logged-in users or anons cannot manipulate the polls. Voting is limited to one choice - and changing your vote will simply remove your original vote and place it on another option.

      The link you posted is pretty solid support. They used the term themselves. Try searching Vestige.

        Loading editor
    • The Soulless One is what Zenimax first named the playable character, some development choices came up and they changed it to Vestige I guess? If anything, we should go with what the game makers make, they just... haven't been very clear with us on what they've made. Besides, it would be bad if we used a more community favoured name over an official name. Also, the playerr is pretty soulless for a good period of time.

        Loading editor
    • I sent their Support and e-mail questioning "I just have a quick question, is the player character called the Soulless One or the Vestige? Because I've heard both, though I'm called Vestige a lot more often."

      We'll see what they answer.

        Loading editor
    • I just got a response from Zenimax:

      "Response By Email (Carlos) (04/16/2014 10:52 AM)

      Greetings adventurer! Thank you for contacting The Elder Scrolls Online Team.  The player's actual name is Vestige, but history will always remember him by his nickname, The Soulless One. Thank you for your continued interest and support! May you break many anchors.  

      Warm Regards,The Elder Scrolls Online Team

      Customer By CSS Web (Pierce Graham) (04/16/2014 10:44 AM)

      I just have a quick question, is the player character called the Soulless One or the Vestige? Because I've heard both, though I'm called Vestige a lot more often."


      So his name is Vestige, not Soulless One, that's a nickname.

        Loading editor
    • Interesting. So how do we proceed from here then?

        Loading editor
    • If history will remember them as Soulless One, then so should we, I think. It's similar to how the Dragonborn's actual name is Dovahkiin but we always refer to him as Dragonborn, or Last Dragonborn, his official title.

        Loading editor
    • Dragonborn is Dovahkiin in another language, it's literally the same word/name. Vestige and Soulless One are not. Plus you're called Dovahkiin and Dragonborn both quite often, whereas you're called Vestige dozens of times but Soulless One only one or twice, and then as an adjective, not a title.

      Since this is a video game wiki, after all, the page name should be the name the character is given both in-game and by the game's developpers. Which would be Vestige. I have no problem with the page referring to him as both (saying Vestige over an over gets old), but the page name itself should be Vestige.

        Loading editor
    • Draevan13 wrote: Dragonborn is Dovahkiin in another language, it's literally the same word/name. Vestige and Soulless One are not. Plus you're called Dovahkiin and Dragonborn both quite often, whereas you're called Vestige dozens of times but Soulless One only one or twice, and then as an adjective, not a title.

      Since this is a video game wiki, after all, the page name should be the name the character is given both in-game and by the game's developpers. Which would be Vestige. I have no problem with the page referring to him as both (saying Vestige over an over gets old), but the page name itself should be Vestige.

      I agree with my twin. (XD)

        Loading editor
    • So... what do we do now? Go with the title/nickname: The Soulless One, or their birth name: Vestige?

        Loading editor
    • Jacen Veron wrote:
      So... what do we do now? Go with the title/nickname: The Soulless One, or their birth name: Vestige?

      Well their title/name is Vestige, Soulless one is a nickname/adjective.

        Loading editor
    • They didnt want to give away too much of the main quest before the game was released, hence why they went with that name. (Remember, they were very tight-lipped about whether or not you were in prison at the start?)

      Jimeee ... we've tested it in the past. When one of the polls finished, we put up a mock poll to see, because people complained that it was easy to change. I myself voted about 4 times in the test. (myself, signed out, voted again as an anon). Came back a few hours later, and it let me vote again (and it didnt change my vote, it added another one). It's useful as a guide, but not a definitive vote. Anyways ... never mind. :)

        Loading editor
    • Draevan13 wrote:
      Jacen Veron wrote:
      So... what do we do now? Go with the title/nickname: The Soulless One, or their birth name: Vestige?
      Well their title/name is Vestige, Soulless one is a nickname/adjective.

      Nevertheless, which will we use? Should a vote be in order, or are we settled with Vestige? Also, should the Soulless One be used in articles, or just strictly Vestige?

        Loading editor
    • Jacen Veron wrote:

      Nevertheless, which will we use? Should a vote be in order, or are we settled with Vestige? Also, should the Soulless One be used in articles, or just strictly Vestige?

      I honestly don't see why we would name the page Soulless One. You're not called that in game and the developpers say the character's name is Vestige. Seems simple to me.

        Loading editor
    • Oh, and here's what on Zenimax's website for discussing PvE:

      "Main Quest: The Vestige's journey to save Tamriel."

        Loading editor
    • Draevan13 wrote:
      Jacen Veron wrote:

      Nevertheless, which will we use? Should a vote be in order, or are we settled with Vestige? Also, should the Soulless One be used in articles, or just strictly Vestige?

      I honestly don't see why we would name the page Soulless One. You're not called that in game and the developpers say the character's name is Vestige. Seems simple to me.

      Agreed

        Loading editor
    • Draevan13 wrote:
      Oh, and here's what on Zenimax's website for discussing PvE:

      "Main Quest: The Vestige's journey to save Tamriel."

      Drevan, link please? :)

        Loading editor
    • Timeoin wrote:
      Draevan13 wrote:
      Oh, and here's what on Zenimax's website for discussing PvE:

      "Main Quest: The Vestige's journey to save Tamriel."

      Drevan, link please? :)

      http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/categories/EN-main-quest

      Just under "MAIN QUEST".

        Loading editor
    • Ah. Nice.

      There we have it then. Case closed.

        Loading editor
    • Voting thread formally up now (this one was a discussion), and can be found here.

        Loading editor
    • Timeoin wrote: Which name should we use to refer to our character in articles? There was a discussion not too long ago regarding this, but I don't remember Vestige being mentioned. I bring up this name as The Prophet refers to you as this name. 

      hi my name is shawn what up

        Loading editor
    • ^^ You have committed thread necromancy against Skyrim and her people. What do you say in your defense?

        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.