FANDOM


  • So while waiting for Fallout 4 I decided to play Skyrim again. Because I had deleted all my files on my PS3, I had to start from scratch and decided to go about doing things differently. 

    One of the things I did this time around was doing the side quests for Solitude. I had read and read and read up on Potema Septim time and time again throughout TES games. So when I heard a group of necromancers were attempting to bring her back I got a little excited. Then I went down to the catacombs  under Solitude and fought her. What a really big let down. I mean fighting with her was about the same as fighting any Dragon Priest. Just didn't feel like there was anything special about the quest or dealing with her. 

    I was a little confused. I mean this was THE Potema Septim, the Wolf Queen right? The necromancer queen that was served by zombies and met with vampire generals? The same queen that may or may not be responsable for driving Pelagius mad? The queen that has something like 7 or 8 volumes about her? And she is what, a minor foot note in the game. I really felt like an excellent oppertunity was missed here. By that I mean Bethesda had games and games with little bits of lore and text about her. Building up the lore and mental picture of who she was.  Massive build up, and then bam, she is nothing more than a minor bad guy. (Although finding her castle all sunken underground was pretty cool, but the catacombs was just another dungeon, nothing that really stood out to me.)

    I don't know, in the end its just my thoughts on the subject. I just felt like there should have been more to her after hearing about her since Morrowind. Heck if I had the option I would have joined with her. I was already playing as a Vampire Lord/ assassin anyway. Its not like I'm the good guy of this story lol.

    So what do you think about Potema? Did you think the quest(s) did her justice? Do you think she should have had a more prominent position in the game? Why do you think Bethesda sold her short? Or do you think that they did?

    (just curious as to others opinions, not attempting to start a fight or arguement, this is a game, we play it for fun. Thank you. Also curious because I'm much more of a Fallout fan than TES so I'm sure that many of you probably have a better grasp of the lore than I do. So its entirely possible that I thought the Wolf Queen was more important than she really was.)

      Loading editor
    • Well, overall, I agree with your point. In all honesty tho, no fight ever lives up to hype, you kinda have to hype it up yourself. I felt very similarly to how you felt when I fought Mannimarco in Oblivion at the end of the Mages guild quest. I mean the guy burned down the Burma Guild hall and its never repaired, I still remember how scared J'skar was when he recounts how he tried to use invisibility but Mannimarco seemed to still look him directly in the eyes. Then you fight him and its just.. over.. all this lore and build up, and its just done.

      As for Potema, at least her fight was a bit different then the standard. That lightning beam circling the room while fighting Draugr was interesting. I kinda wish the room was bigger and we fought a few waves of zombies, but whatever. I think her role as being a side-quest was at least a good decision, there was already a lot going on in Skyrim, to add another "huge" threat would be diluting the game and makes other main quests seem less important. I wouldnt say Bethesda sold her short, I mean we didnt have much reason to believe she would be making a return anyways, her reappearance wasnt some grand cliffhanger, it was just sorta added in.

        Loading editor
    • And the  way the draugr come out during the battle lets me out-necromancy her

        Loading editor
    • I wanted her to be a major ally! She was so cool!

        Loading editor
    • Yeah you are right I was also hyped by the chance to know Potema, I guess the Potema we fought is just a shadow of her former self, brought back by mediocre necromancers, at least that's how I rationalize it, to me the fight was special enough to remember, had a dog companion that died there :(

        Loading editor
    • To me, the Draugr Deathlord on the way to her has always been the hardest enemy on that quest. Potema herself was indeed not that impressive - I mean, I once managed to beat her with a stealth character and she didn't even notice me, she just kept circling the room.

        Loading editor
    • Kiadony wrote:
      To me, the Draugr Deathlord on the way to her has always been the hardest enemy on that quest.

      Eh, Draugr Deathlords are too ez... Onl Legendary difficulty they die in 1 light hit of dragonbone dagger =\

        Loading editor
    • ScienceDiscoverer wrote: Eh, Draugr Deathlords are too ez... Onl Legendary difficulty they die in 1 light hit of dragonbone dagger =\

      Well, that's probably because I went into the quest with ranged or stealth characters and there's no room in that chamber for maneuvers. And I also did that before the add-ons came out, so no Dragonbone weapons.

      I mean, he's not impossible to kill, but seems out of depth in that particular quest.

        Loading editor
    • I was down for her being revived, start the Septim dynasty up again. It'd be awesome. 

        Loading editor
    • She's a usurper and a false Septim successor. It wouldn't be good for her to be revived considering her vicious nature. Even if Titus Mede II cannot control his Elder Council or can't eliminate the corruption in the Empire, at least he isn't a messed up B*tch.

        Loading editor
    • Potema would be the last Septim alive, so she would automatically become Empress of Tamriel.

      She's evil but that's still the facts.

      If she was to be revived Tamriel would likely plunge into total chaos.

        Loading editor
    • It is still a fact that she is a usurper and was not a worthy Septim to be Emperor/Empress

        Loading editor
    • She would still be the last Septim though, by every right the title of Empress would be hers.

        Loading editor
    • Not a worthy one. How many children do you think a Septim Emperor or any Emperors in general would've impregnated in their lifetime? Remember that while it is rare for an Emperor to go up to 10,000 concubines, these cases exists and on average it is easy for an Emperor to have over 10 registered/named Concubines, over 500 recorded women kept in his palace waiting for him to one day come and impregnate them, hopefully become a named concubines. Then there will be unknown number of women whom he had one night stand with.

      Besides it was stated by Tiber Septim/Talos himself that Septim Empire was old and needed to be replaced. It was eventually unfortunately the Mede Empire wasn't as stable as the Septim one. As in, the Septim Empire faced revolts but no one dare to challenge its Sovereign. While you hear people or elves challenging the Mede's Sovereign like every 25 years.

        Loading editor
    • Nobody would challenger her tho.

        Loading editor
    • Busiao No Laughs wrote:
      Not a worthy one. How many children do you think a Septim Emperor or any Emperors in general would've impregnated in their lifetime? Remember that while it is rare for an Emperor to go up to 10,000 concubines, these cases exists and on average it is easy for an Emperor to have over 10 registered/named Concubines, over 500 recorded women kept in his palace waiting for him to one day come and impregnate them, hopefully become a named concubines. Then there will be unknown number of women whom he had one night stand with.

      What the f**k are you talking about? Concubines? "one night stands"?

      Her father was Pelagius Septim II, the sixth Emperor and her mother was princess Quintilla of Camlorn, literally the same as Cephorus I and Magnus - were they not worthy Septim's either?

      Sounds like you're on some weird incel sh*t.

        Loading editor
    • Yea u also forgot that a max emperor palace only holds 10,000 people, most of witch are advisors

        Loading editor
    • I'm talking about realistically in addition to having an Empress, an Emperor should have around 200 to 3000 women in his harem. Then there will surely be cases where he have sex with a maid or some peasant girl he fancies but cannot give her a title due to politics etc...

      Either ways, an Emperor should easily have dozens in direct line of succession and hundreds more in the next line of succession. It's actually very hard to break an Emperor's line of succession when the Empire/Dynasty is strong and under the Emperor's control.

      My 10,000 value was taking a real life example from the aftermath of the Three Kingsdoms era in China. Sima Yan took most of Sun Hao (Sun Quan's Successor) and Liu Shan's Harem after he became Emperor. Officially the document says he took them in to take care of his rivals' families but I think no one will believe he is that kind.

      Also according to Forbidden City, the Advisors shouldn't be living with the Emperor in his Palace. They just enter the Palace for Assembly to discuss matters with the Emperor and receive directives from him also not to forget play politics at expense of people like you and me in ancient times.

      So yeah though I kinda side-tracked a bunch, but line of succession, realistically isn't easy to break unless the Empire is on decline. I mean you're dealing with the highest authority in the country. You'll surely have maximum security in place for him and his family.

        Loading editor
    • no cuz paesensts and maids were "not worthy of housing a emperors heir"

        Loading editor
    • The Khajiit in the Hide Hat wrote:
      no cuz paesensts and maids were "not worthy of housing a emperors heir"

      In the case where the Emperor decided to have sex with one of his palace maids who is not worthy because of her background. The handling will be the maid will not be given a name as part of Emperor's family. A lot of women in the past are like that. When the Emperor orders the girl to strip naked and let him screw, do you think the girl can say no? She can't. If she says that, she'll be lucky if the Emperor just laughs it off and do her anyways. If she's unlucky, saying no will mean disobeying the greatest sovereign who is literately the God who is always right in the Empire. By that definition, you who say no is wrong and a heinous criminal who deserves to have your whole family, relatives and friends executed as heinous criminals.

      Either ways, when the Emperor impregnates a peasant girl and her baby actually managed to survive until they grow up and the baby happens to be a son, then you just created a secondary line of succession beginning from the peasant girl's baby. The only difference is his mom will not be recognized and his mom's inferior background will become a taint in the son's identity as the Emperor's son. He will still be a viable candidate to succeed the throne if the primary line of succession was wiped out.

      A simple chart is.

      Empress and Concubines (Girls from Royal and Upper echelon Noble backgrounds, basically nobles with a lot of power) their children will be primary line of succession. 

      Emperor's lovers, basically women who lives with Emperor but being lower echelon Nobles. Their Children will be secondary line of succession that takes priority should those in primary line of succession 

      In addition, there are also the previous Emperor's very young children, basically Emperor's siblings who are significantly younger than him might be considered depending on situation. (I.E Emperor brother who is 20 years younger than him and all Primary and priority secondary Line of Succession were wiped or the successors are too young to rule)

      After that, there will be wild cards that are the least prioritized Line of Succession. They are the backup plan because these women don't have powerful family backgrounds, not noble birth hence the children won't have backing of strong families. It is generally a bad idea to let someone from here become Emperor since he don't have strong political backing. Easy for the Country's political situation to destablize.

        Loading editor
    • No they were unworthy cuz there POOR in fact in Viking times...it was AGAINST the law to Impregnate anyone without a home, rich famiky...ect

        Loading editor
    • Pretty sure if it fits their interests, they wouldn't hesitate to take a random baby off the streets and proclaim him successor of the Emperor. Besides, the Empire is based off Roman Empire not Vikings

        Loading editor
    • Think of jarls...in Vikings had jarl...Romans had Emperors only...and vikings had empire's 2...Watch game theory on YouTube on "arrow to the knee" episode

        Loading editor
    • it explains that its viking time

        Loading editor
    • Think of Jarls only applies in Skyrim. Cyrodiil has Counts, Elder Council Members and the Emperor.

        Loading editor
    • Yea skyrim is Vick...Cyro is....idk."

        Loading editor
    • look at the evidence-based product

        Loading editor
    • The Khajiit in the Hide Hat wrote:
      look at the evidence-based product

      From TES IV: Oblivion and from various other sources, aka legit evidence states that Cyrodiil and the Empire is based off Roman Empire while Skyrim is based off backwater Vilking village.

        Loading editor
    • Yea... (Skyrim is idk nearly 1500 years in the future...and I SAID that the Vikings=Nords) and the Vikings arnt "back water"

        Loading editor
    • The Khajiit in the Hide Hat wrote:
      Yea... (Skyrim is idk nearly 1500 years in the future...and I SAID that the Vikings=Nords) and the Vikings arnt "back water"

      TES V: Skyrim is a little over 200 years in future from TES IV Oblivion. But their technology and progress has stagnated for more than 5000 years while they pretty much rely on magic.

      Going by interactions with Nords from past games, if anything Skyrim has become backwater compared to 200-300 years ago. Most Nords in Skyrim are country bumpkins.

        Loading editor
    • hmmm... ok I guess but let's go back to potoma

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.