"The Dragons have returned to Tamriel. Unleashed upon the world by the unwitting Abnur Tharn and the Imperial usurper queen Euraxia, the great Kaalgrontiid and his followers hunt from the skies and threaten to burn down the ancestral home of the Khajiit." – Announcing The Elder Scrolls Online: Elsweyr & The Season of the Dragon
It's part of the year-long story, known as "The Season of the Dragon". The Elsweyr Chapter will feature:
- A main quest line interconnected with the story of the Season of the Dragon, as well as stand-alone quests
- A new, long-requested Class; the Necromancer
- Sunspire, a 12-player Trial
- Updates and quality-of-life improvements
- And fully explore the land of the Khajiit, Elsweyr
The trailer was revealed during The Elder Scrolls Online - Season of the Dragon Reveal stream, however the next part of it will be shown at E3. Info on the various editions and how you can pre-purchase Elsweyr can be found here. Digital versions on PC/Mac will be early access on May 20. It was mentioned on Twitter that there will be no physical Collector's Edition.
The Season of the Dragon is going to be a year long with four updates building on the story, starting with the Wrathstone DLC dungeon pack (more on that in notes below) coming to PTS on January 21. After that comes the Elsweyr Chapter plus another unannounced DLC dungeon pack in Quarter 3, and an unannounced DLC story zone in Quarter 4.
More will be revealed at E3 this year.
Some notes from the reveal stream on what can be expected, including timestamps:
- We will see the different types of Khajiit (yes, including the house-cat sized ones!) (36:36)
- With the new Necromancer Class comes justice reactions; you will be reported to guards by NPCs (in all Tamriel, not just Elsweyr) for raising the dead, so watch out. (40:50)
- Returning characters include Abnur Tharn, Sir Cadwell and Razum-dar. (38:02)
- Wrathstone DLC features two dungeons, Frostvault and Depths of Malatar. The tablets of the Wrathstone are hidden in these dungeons, and must be retrieved and delivered to Abnur Tharn, where the adventure then leads to the Halls of Collossus, the much-loved Khamira, and possibly unleashing some dragons? (50:20)
- There's going to be a new system revolving around unique, powerful artifacts, Sheogorath's love of chaos and Cyrodiil. The Daedric Prince of Madness will spawn a single artifact somewhere in Cyrodiil, and the player who finds it will be rather powerful. Spoiler: Volendrung will be the first artifact. (45:40)
- Fight dragons in Sunspire, a 12-player trial. (49:15)
- New features include the 'Zone Guide', a helpful overview on zones, and improvements on Guild Trader UI, which includes text searching. (54:00)
As you can see, it's going to be quite the year for ESO. If there is anything missing, feel free to mention it in the comments.