Valtheim Towers is a location in Skyrim east of Whiterun. It consists of two towers connected by a bridge at the top of the first tower leading across the river to the base of the second tower. You will encounter seven Bandits and a Bandit Chief here.
Some of Skyrim's citizens may be over heard talking about Valtheim Fort as a mythical defensive structure which was home to the Valtheim Towers. and explain that the only remains of its being are the towers.
- Chests (2)
- Alchemy Lab
- The Black Arrow, Book II - Archery skill book in the tower with the Alchemy Lab next to the bed.
- Iron Ore Vein located just outside the second tower
- Corundum Ore Vein (2) along the left of the path outside the second tower
Possible Radiant Quest Items
- This is one of the many Bounty Quest locations
- Radiant: Amren's Sword
- Radiant: Kharjo asks the player to get the Moon Amulet
- When passing on the road, a Bandit Marauder demands the toll of 200 be paid. If the player passes a Speech check, the amount can be brought down to 50. Interestingly, passing through on a Horse allows one to avoid paying the toll altogether, since dialogue cannot be initiated while riding a mount.
- A chest is rigged to drop a spiked mace in the first tower. Open it, then jump to the left to avoid being hit, or lockpick the trigger mechanism next to the chest to stop the mace from falling.
- If Amren's Sword is recovered here, return it to Amren in Whiterun. As a reward, he increases the Block and One-Handed skills one point each.
- Be careful when fighting here if you have a horse (especially Shadowmere), as when the bandits attack you, your horse will most likely try to climb the towers and fight the bandits. This may lead to it accidentally falling off and dying.
- The treasure chest from Treasure Map II is found near here. (Before you can get the treasure you must have the map). To find the chest, go to the towers and head east by the side of the river. As you near the waterfall, there will be a small cut into the path with the chest inside.
- If the Bounty letter has not been acquired from the Proventus Avenicci, the Steward of Whiterun, before retrieving Amren's Sword from the Towers, the Bounty questline becomes impossible to complete.
- If you choose to intimidate the bandit that approaches you for the toll, the game will remove 200 from your inventory (as if you had chosen to pay the toll), despite the dialog showing that your intimidation attempt was successful. The gold is not added to the Bandit's inventory, however, so you cannot recover it by killing him/her.
- If you choose the Intimidate option with the bandit guarding the road when you come to the towers, the guard might say 'You know, that sounds like a good idea. Now move along before I change my mind.' but 200 gold will be removed from your inventory and can't be taken back.
- If you have completed the quest for Amren's Sword which was held here at this tower and have then gotten the quest for Trouble in Skyrim for the Companions before the game has had time for the bandits to reset it will glitch and will be unable to complete the quest line for the Companions.