The staff transforms any creature into another random creature for 30 seconds. Only one creature may be Wabbajacked at any time (but they can be repeatedly Wabbajacked). Only a limited number of creatures will be created by Wabbajack. All are equally likely to occur.
- The Wabbajack does not harm an opponent directly, but it can be used to transform a stronger creature into a weaker one. The downside to this is that it can also transform into a stronger creature.
- The newly created creature is always at full health; after the 30 seconds are done, the original creature reappears at full health (even if it was injured before being Wabbajacked).
- If a creature is fatally injured while Wabbajacked, it reverts to its original form and dies.
- Its given name might be a reference to the literary nonsense, word plays and neologisms of Lewis Carroll, the author of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass.
- Strangely, if used on enemies or in the presence of Sheogorath in Shivering Isles, he will make no mention of it, or even acknowledge the Hero's possession of it.