Werebears are the most abundant breed of lycanthrope found in Skyrim and also inhabit regions such as High Rock, the Imperial Province, and Morrowind. Legend holds that smearing canis root on the trees surrounding one's home will ward off werebears.
Anthropology-enthusiast and member of the Order of the Horn, Lentulus Inventius wrote about investigations into the werebear rumors. In his account, he found no scientifically reliable anecdotes of the existence of werebears, let alone werewolves, save from one account presented by Karsten Hammer-Back. The story revolved around lycanthrope hunters, the Silver Hand. Besides this report, Inventius attributes the stories of werebears to utter folklore that sprouted up over particular vicious, yet mundane, bear attacks in Skyrim.
- Although the population in Skyrim is said to be large, none are ever encountered by the Last Dragonborn in 4E 201, other than in Solstheim (which is part of Morrowind by that time).
- In the early Fourth Era, they are known to have inhabited Hircine's Realm.
- The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall (mentioned only)
- An Elder Scrolls Novel: Lord of Souls (mentioned only)
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (mentioned only)Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; refs with no content must have a name.
- The Elder Scrolls Online: Greymoor