Werebears are a type of creature found on Solstheim. They are a variant of lycanthrope, and are similar in most respects to werewolves, with the obvious exception of their appearance. It is not possible for the player to become a werebear, however.
According to On Lycanthropy, Skyrim is said to be teeming with werebears, and they are the reason some people use canis root, as it is believed that smearing crushed canis root on trees surrounding the home repels these werebears. Werebears are only found on the island of Solstheim, an outlying island formerly the property of the province of Skyrim. In the past, the Daedric Prince Hircine used the island for hunts using lycanthropes.
They perform in the same manner as werewolves as their attacks are identical. They attack with their claws and teeth, but also possess a lunge attack which knocks the target off their feet. Unlike werewolves, some werebears revert to their natural form upon death.
A pack of three werebears can be found at Snowclad Ruins, at which they can be seen in human form before transforming and attacking.
Packs of three werebears can be randomly encountered in the wilds of Solstheim. Transformed werebears may return to their human form after some time.
- They are functionally identical to werewolves, sharing the same animations and audio; since they share the same rigs and animations, the werebears walk on digitigrade (walking on toes) legs, despite the actual bears in game walking plantigrade (ankle touching the ground).
- The werebear first appeared at the Bethesda Game Jam, along with the Vampire Lord.
This section contains bugs related to Werebear (Dragonborn). Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- They will become trapped in place, but still attempt to run and attack.
- Dragonborn waits near a werebear corpse, it may come back to life, albeit resuming its human form. If the
- There is a small chance that werebears have a model bug. They fight using punches like their human form, but their paws stay to their chest bent inward.
- There is a very low chance that a werebear will be invisible. Reloading to an earlier a save will fix this.
- The Snowclad Ruins random encounter has a small chance to occur anywhere on the island of Solstheim, rather than its normal location.
- The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall (mentioned only)
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (mentioned only) 
- The Elder Scrolls Online: Greymoor