The Whispering Lady is a voice behind a door. Nelkir, the youngest son of Balgruuf the Greater, has been listening to her whispering. After talking to her, the Dragonborn discovers she is in fact a manifestation of the Daedric Prince Mephala.
Location[edit | edit source]
- The Whispering Lady's door is in the basement of Dragonsreach.
Interactions[edit | edit source]
After being told by Nelkir to investigate the door, the Whispering Lady will speak to the Dragonborn about the conversations between her and the child and how the Dragonborn is more useful than the child, consequently granting them use of the Ebony Blade.
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
Interacting with the door for the first time:
(Listen at door) "At last. I've been waiting for someone more fit to carry out my will. The child is spirited, but lacks... agency."
- Is there someone behind the door? "Regrettably, I cannot reach your plane so directly. But I forgive you for not knowing who I am. Few hear my whispers anymore. I am Mephala, the Lady of Whispers. I tug at the web of connections between mortals. Love, hatred, loyalty, betrayal. The boy was good at sussing out secrets. You, I expect to take a more active role."
- What do you want me to do? "First, you must open this door. A piece of my power has been locked away behind it, and even my eyes cannot see past the seals. I'd much rather it be in the hands of an ambitious and talented person such as yourself."
- I don't want to help you. "Suit yourself. But those who listen at doors always wonder what is beyond them. Eventually your curiosity will drive you back to me."
- What could the boy not do? "The boy is good at sussing out secrets, but the corruptibility of children is ultimately too limited for my purposes. You, though, I expect will prove far more malleable."
- Who are you to expect anything? "I forgive your not knowing my name. Few can hear my whispers anymore. I am Mephala, the Lady of Whispers. I tug at the web of connections between mortals. Love, hatred, loyalty, betrayal."
- I'm not so easily molded. "You may think so. But in the end, you mortals will always flit like fire with the winds of your desires and conveniences. And those winds issue from my whispers."
- How do I open the door? "The whole of Whiterun is ripe with paranoia and tensions. The Jarl's court is right to fear the power I hold behind this door. The Jarl trusts few, and they will be his undoing. The dark child knows of what I speak. Let him guide your path."
After acquiring the key to the door:
"Excellent work. Now, I trust you're sharp enouhconfirmation needed to see that the sword doesn't match the description of the Ebony Blade you may know. It has languished too long outside the winds of alliance and betrayal. To return to its past glory, it must first drink the blood of deceit. Your world is admirably seeped in lies and inclinations. My blade is a darling leech that feeds on deceptions, and nourishes its master. Seek out those closest to you. The final pluck of their misguided heartstrings will accompany my blade in the songs of your grandeur."
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- If the door is unlocked through the use of console commands, the Whispering Lady can be seen as a floating dresser that acts as a placeholder for the audio.
- If the Dragonborn uses a platter to sprint through the door, they can see the dresser even before the quest has started.