Wispmothers are creatures found in the frozen, mountainous regions of Skyrim. Wisps can be spotted floating in the wild, and remain neutral. If the wisp is approached, it moves away and eventually leads to a wispmother.
During combat, wispmothers summon three to four smaller wisps or shades to attack while she casts a volley of frost spells and places Frost Runes. The wispmother stays on the move to avoid magical attacks. The smaller wisps follow whomever the wispmother is attacking, regardless of distance, and drain health. Wispmothers are higher category enemies, able to use powerful blasts of frost and move very quickly.
- In Thoroughfare, as part of the quest "The Staff of Magnus."
- In Frostmere Crypt is a unique wispmother named the Pale Lady, as part of the quest of the same name.
- At the Ruins of Rkund.
- At Ruined Toll and Wispmother's Well, an unmarked location near Ivarstead.
- At the Druadach Dwemer Pavilion, an unmarked location west of the Shrine to Peryite.
- In Blackreach, near the Debate Hall.
- Near the entrance of South Skybound Watch.
- Also can be found at Dragon's Tongue wall location, if you have not yet defeated Alduin's cult member, Mirmulnir.
- At Skyborn Altar, if the quest "Dragon Rising" has not been completed yet.
- Shrine of Arkay: Windhelm Hills - An unmarked location north of Windhelm and south of Snow Veil Sanctum.
- At Wispmother's Crevasse, an unmarked location east of Journeyman's Nook and southwest of Bleakcoast Cave.
- Just like trolls, wispmothers are weak to fire. However, setting them on fire does not stop them from regenerating health as the wisps will steal the Dragonborn's health instead of self-restoring.
- Wispmothers will be easier to sneak past after all of her wisps are taken care of.
- According to theories in the book The Wispmother, the creatures may be ghosts of the nearly extinct race Snow Elves. However, researchers who are into necromancy theorize that they are not ghosts but powerful sorceresses who sought eternal life through undeath.
- Wispmothers' Race ID is referred to as
|Creatures and Enemies (The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim)|
|Animals||Ants • Bear • Cave Bear • Chicken • Cow • Deer • Dog • Elk • Fox • Goat • Hawk • Horker • Horse|
Ice Wolf • Mammoth • Mudcrab • Rabbit • Sabre Cat • Salmon • Skeever • Slaughterfish • Snow Bear • Snow Fox • Wolf
|Creatures||Chaurus • Frostbite Spider • Frost Troll • Giant • Hagraven • Ice Wraith • Spriggan • Troll|
|Daedra||Dremora • Flame Atronach • Frost Atronach • Storm Atronach|
|Undead||Corrupted Shade • Dragon Priest • Draugr • Ghost • Magic Anomaly • Skeleton|
Subjugated Ghost • Wisp • Wispmother • Vampire
|Animunculi||Dwarven Centurion • Dwarven Sphere • Dwarven Spider|
|Dragons||Dragon • Blood Dragon • Frost Dragon • Elder Dragon • Ancient Dragon • Skeletal Dragon|